• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Seller says the car would pass inspection!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cablsurvivor

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?MD
I'm searching for answers, and I hope that I have some recourse in my unique situation.My daughter purchased a 1986 BMW with a lot of miles on the odometer.Prior to my daughter purchasing the vehicle I insisted that she have the owner get the car inspected prior to purchacing the vehicle.The owner insisted that an inspection was not necessary because the vehicle had been inspected in the recent past.He also mentioned that although he was currently a realestate agent, he was an auto mechanic in the past and was certain that the vehicle would pass inspection. My daugter and wife trusted his input and He accepted a check for the car and asked my wife and daughter to keep three hudred until the inspection was completed. He mentioned confidently that we would be returning the $300.00 once the inspection was complete.Well it turns out that the car has several things wrong with it and will not pass inspection without putting $2,100.00 into the car. This is $300.00 less than what my daughter paid for the car. Is this going to be just a hard lesson learned or is their a way out of this. Would my daughter have any chance in court.

seniorjudge

cablsurvivor said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?MD
I'm searching for answers, and I hope that I have some recourse in my unique situation.My daughter purchased a 1986 BMW with a lot of miles on the odometer.Prior to my daughter purchasing the vehicle I insisted that she have the owner get the car inspected prior to purchacing the vehicle.The owner insisted that an inspection was not necessary because the vehicle had been inspected in the recent past.He also mentioned that although he was currently a realestate agent, he was an auto mechanic in the past and was certain that the vehicle would pass inspection. My daugter and wife trusted his input and He accepted a check for the car and asked my wife and daughter to keep three hudred until the inspection was completed. He mentioned confidently that we would be returning the $300.00 once the inspection was complete.Well it turns out that the car has several things wrong with it and will not pass inspection without putting $2,100.00 into the car. This is $300.00 less than what my daughter paid for the car. Is this going to be just a hard lesson learned or is their a way out of this. Would my daughter have any chance in court.

He also mentioned that although he was currently a realestate agent, he was an auto mechanic in the past and was certain that the vehicle would pass inspection.

Well, at that point, I would have run screaming from the scene.

So you have nothing in writing.

Q: Would my daughter have any chance in court?

A: How would your daughter prove her story in court?

cablsurvivor

His decision to allow my daughter to keep the three hundred dollars until the car was inspected was discussed in the presence of the banker loaning the money to my daughter.

Last edited:
T

Trucking Mad

Lesson Earned!

cablsurvivor said:
His decision to allow my daughter to keep the three hundred dollars until the car was inspected was discussed in the presence of the banker loaning the money to my daughter.
:rolleyes: BMW'S are nice cars & we always want to trust people...We need to CYA ( Cover Your A**)..Doesn't matter who heard the discussion, nothing in writing, car sold as-is**************BOTTOM LINE!
It could still be a nice car after the repairs...Just a thought! Good Luck :cool:

panzertanker

cablsurvivor said:
Is this going to be just a hard lesson learned
YUP.
cablsurvivor said:
Would my daughter have any chance in court.
Nope, caveat emptor. (Google the term). You have nothing in writing that states car will/must pass inspection for sale to be final.

T

Trucking Mad

Howdy!

panzertanker said:
YUP.

Nope, caveat emptor. (Google the term). You have nothing in writing that states car will/must pass inspection for sale to be final.
Hey Baby! :cool:

cablsurvivor

I personally believe when buying a car, the car should be bought new from a car dealership, and I did ecourage this with my daughter.However, she thought that since the car was a BMW it would give her some sort of satisfaction. She also mentioned that the car would result in a cheaper insurance premium each month because it was an older model vehicle. I insisted that cheaper insurance was highly unlikely considering the type of car this is. How right I was! She bought into a lot of debt at the fresh age of only 18. Thanks too everyone who gave their input.

dallas702

A 20 year old BMW with "lots of miles" on it? First, mid-eighties BMWs aren't that nice compared to newer cars, and definitely not reliable. Your daughter should have done her homework because even if the car had passed inspection it would have needed repairs very soon...expensive repairs. If you look at any auto consumer guid you can see that while BMWs may be impressive (and have impressive price tags) they are far down the list of reliable vehicles, especially for a college kid.

Anyway, without an agreement in writing that guarantees the car will pass inspection she's out of luck. The exception would be where emissions is concerned, and that depends on MD emissions laws. If you were in CA she could undo the deal and get her $$$$ back.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">