• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Short and long term disability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

msmarie

What is the name of your state? Florida
Does anyone know if you are having a back surgery and you have been out of work allready 3 months and dont know when you will be going back to work. Fusion surgery is scheduled on Jan 30, 2006 I have the short term disability covering me now and my employer book it says long term disability too, should that be something I should be paying for now or looking into because I dont know how it works and I dont know how long it will take me to get recovered with this severe back problems. I have been on my job for 19 years (goverment job) any advice out there I appreciate it. :)

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You need to be asking your employer if you have any long term disability insurance through them.

If you have already been out of work for three months and are coming to the end of your STD benefits, it is WAY too late to be looking to buy a long term disability policy now. If you are not already covered through your employer, it is too late.

We have no way of knowing if you are covered through your employer or not.

msmarie

disability

cbg, thanks for writing and yes we do have long term disability I just dont know if I should go ahead and pay for that now since I am not sure if my disability will go over the 6 months short term time ( I think it will) and I dont know if they cover it still if doctors keep me out.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You're missing the point, Marie. It's not whether or not your employer offers it; it's whether or not you are already covered by the policy. You can't just elect the benefit when you are going to use it. If you are not already paying for it, chances are you won't be able to apply for now that you have a claim.

msmarie

okay

No dear I am not missing the point. As I said I have been on my job for 20 years I DO have short and long term disability, I am on the short term now and surgery is at the end of this month. I just didnt know when the short term is up if it automatically goes into long term? I guess I could always ask huh? and also it will be up to the doctor when I go back to work not work itself. I am a single parent and of course concerned with financials now on top of health problems with this back of mine. Thanks for any input I appreciate it

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I don't think I can be blamed for not understanding you when you consistantly referred to "starting to pay for the LTD" which implies that you had NOT been covered by the policy up till now. In general, if you have not been paying for the policy that means you are not covered by it. You get the answer to the question you ask.

Without reading your policy I have no way of knowing how your policies interconnect. All I can tell you is that in MOST cases, if an LTD policy exists you will be notified at the time of eligibility (that would mean when the STD expires) of how to apply for LTD benefits.

Any more detailed information will have to come from your employer since they are the only ones with a copy of the plan in front of them.

msmarie

Thanks

Thanks so much and i didnt blame you for anything. I appreciate your input I guess I just didnt explain my self too good being in severe pain and all now so sorry about that. I am not going to worry about it anyhow because no one knows what the future holds. Take care and God Bless You.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">