• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What owner is responsible?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

blueflamez

I bought my condo in Fort Myers Florida in August of 2005. I was under the impression that I as a new owner was only responsible for taxes from the closing date (August 3rd) up until November 2005. I received a tax bill of $1,400 for the entire year of 2005. I called the tax office and they told me this is not their problem and I need to take it up with my closing company. What is the law concerning this matter? Also, if I were to sell this property in the next month (Feburary 2006), am I still responsible for this 2005 tax bill?

Thanks!

justalayman

I am not sure as to the laws regarding this but I do know it is common practice to be responsible for only the prtion of taxes during actual ownership. The thing you need to look at is your closing report. There may have been money there that was given/credited to you for the prorated taxes.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
blueflamez said:
I bought my condo in Fort Myers Florida in August of 2005. I was under the impression that I as a new owner was only responsible for taxes from the closing date (August 3rd) up until November 2005. I received a tax bill of $1,400 for the entire year of 2005. I called the tax office and they told me this is not their problem and I need to take it up with my closing company. What is the law concerning this matter? Also, if I were to sell this property in the next month (Feburary 2006), am I still responsible for this 2005 tax bill?

Thanks!
Look at your HUD statement and find out if the money for taxes was credited to you -- if it was credited to you then you have to pay it. If it says it was paid then you shouldn't have to double pay it. If it doesn't say anything, you need to go back to what your sales contract says about who would be responsible for taxes. Most times it is prorated but sometimes it is not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">