• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

State wanted tax records & today I receive a bill!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tsunami.Hit.Me

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? North Carolina

This past September, 2005, the NC Dept. of Revenue asked for my ex-wife and my tax records for the last four years. I quickly got on it and sent them in. I figured everything was OK until today when I received four tax bills (for each year), totalling over $10,000. :eek: No cover letter, but one page showing just the amount of what I claimed for itemization, donations, etc., then in the next column, they showed what the IRS is allowing for each year. Hence, the four bills for the years 2002-2005 totally over $10,000!

I am in a panic! I already lost my home, bank account, children and most of my assets in the divorce to my dependant ex-wife, which forced me to file Chapter 7 bankruptcy in 2004. Then this year, I lost my job, was out of work (and still trying to find a decent job), was still was obligated to pay $2300 in child support and alimony, then got my car reposessed after being 49 days late in a payment. Now this......

I did work out of my home the last several years, but all my expenses were legit....AND.....I have always had my taxes done by an accountant. Although now that I think of it, my accountant for the years 2002 & 2003 got audited himself, but the accountant for the years 2004 & 2005 is very reputable.

Any thoughts? I really appreciate any guidance on this as I have NO money to pay these bills nor hire a tax attorney! (And I just know my ex-wife will do whatever she can to get out of paying any portion of these too!)

Thanks in advance!

Snipes5

Take the letter to your current accountant.

It would appear that the IRS has adjusted some of your tax returns, and the state has followed suit.

You need a professional to look at this and determine the best course of action.

Snipes

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">