• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorcing and my rights to his car. Have I any?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

allysk8s

Hi

I'm about to ask my husband for a divorce. He is from Russia and just got his greencard. When he came here back in March last year, he didnt have any credit to buy a car so we got a loan and I am the co-signer of that loan. He makes the monthly payments on the car and if he leaves, I cannot make payments on it so I would sell it. What are my rights about this car. Is it legally mine?

Ally

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

allysk8s said:
Hi

I'm about to ask my husband for a divorce. He is from Russia and just got his greencard. When he came here back in March last year, he didnt have any credit to buy a car so we got a loan and I am the co-signer of that loan. He makes the monthly payments on the car and if he leaves, I cannot make payments on it so I would sell it. What are my rights about this car. Is it legally mine?

Ally
My response:

Check the registration slip you have for the car. If your name appears, then it's also your car. But if the registration says [his name] "and" [your name], then he needs to sign all transfer papers too. If the registration says [his name] "or" [your name], then either one of you can sign the transfer papers. If only his name appears on the registration, then you have no ownership interest in the car.

In the latter instance, all you have is a liability to pay the payments on the contract. Co-signing a vehicle purchase, alone, does NOT give you ownership rights.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">