• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Son confessed to felony burglary saying it was only him to protect others

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aka2much

What is the name of your state? california
My son has never been in trouble before in his life. But 6 months ago he started hanging out with a new set of friends. During that time he has started using drugs & alcohol and had been lying alot. During the Thanksgiving Day weekend , my son and 3 of his friends burglarized a middle school close to our home. They took laptops , computers, etc. A reward was offered for any information to the burglary and my sons name was given. Since my son has never been in trouble before he did what a child would do trying to be a hero to his friends and basically confessed to the burglary and that it was only him and no one else involved . But he gave up one of his friends saying that the some of the stolen good was in his friends room. When I finally was able to clarify to my son the gravity and seriousness of his crime and him confessing it was only him made him look foolish because it wasn't possible for only one person to have done the crime. When he finally told me the truth about all the people involved the facts of the burglary. I left messages with the detectives hoping that they would investigate it further and charge all people involved. But since most of the things taken were returned and they have my son to charge the burglary on it seems like they will do anymore labor or work on my son's case. My son is now looking at a$12000 damages and restitution fee. A felony burglary and grand theft charge and basically only my son being charged and not caring about catching and punishing the others involved. I do not know what to do or to approach wanting for justice and punishment for all the others involved. I agree my son should be punished but shouldn't also the others involved???

Last edited:

BL

And hopefully he will get the charges reduced , and / or Probation & restitution as a Punishment .

rmet4nzkx

Whether he acted alone or with others, or returned the loot, his acts clearly constitute a felony under California law. While it is good that you and he gave the names of the other criminals who together committed the crime, it is up to the investigators to do their work and charges will be brought accordingly. If you retain counsel you may be able to negoitate a slightly different sentence but no doubt there will at least be a sizable restitution and considerable community service in addition to other costs so it may still cost you the same or more money to get the charges reduced and they may still be a felony. Hopefully he will learn a lesson, unfortunately it usually takes more than one before they get it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">