• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Seek Definition/Cohabitation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

Vargo

I am seeking help in defining `cohabitation' as it applies to SOUTH CAROLINA divorce law.
My significant other intends to seek a divorce on the grounds of (having) "... lived separate and apart WITHOUT COHABITATION for a period of one year".
She and her spouse have now lived apart for 10 months. They wish to visit their (married) daughter's home during the Holidays and, during that visit, MIGHT both stay at their daughter's home in Alabama.

My question is, if they were to do that, would/could it be considered to constitute "cohabitation" in terms of the South Carolina laws and thus negate the time they have already lived `separate and apart' ?

A timely opinion would be GREATLY appreciated.

LegalBeagle

Vargo said:
I am seeking help in defining `cohabitation' as it applies to SOUTH CAROLINA divorce law.
My significant other intends to seek a divorce on the grounds of (having) "... lived separate and apart WITHOUT COHABITATION for a period of one year".
She and her spouse have now lived apart for 10 months. They wish to visit their (married) daughter's home during the Holidays and, during that visit, MIGHT both stay at their daughter's home in Alabama.

My question is, if they were to do that, would/could it be considered to constitute "cohabitation" in terms of the South Carolina laws and thus negate the time they have already lived `separate and apart' ?

Yes.. in fact SC says they have to be in different state at least 1000 miles apart from each other. They are not allowed in the same state as each other at any time. the only exception is Texas where you can be at different ends.

Ok seriously, spending a night in the same room would not throw out 10 months of living apart.

V

Vargo

Thanks

...`preciate your response, `Beagle'. Thanks
(you had me goin' there for a minute)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">