• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cashing of a check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Sandi145

I am going through a divorce, we sold the house and I have recieved a check from the sale. It is in both my husbands and mine. We agreed in the beginning that we would use this money to pay of a joint bill. Now he won't sign the check. Can I put for deposit only on the check, have it deposited into my account with out signing his name and pay this bill with out getting into trouble? I don't want to spend this money myself, but he won't sign it and the bill needs to be paid. If you could help me out? E-mail me @ [email protected].

Thanks
Sandi

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Sandi145 said:
I am going through a divorce, we sold the house and I have recieved a check from the sale. It is in both my husbands and mine. We agreed in the beginning that we would use this money to pay of a joint bill. Now he won't sign the check. Can I put for deposit only on the check, have it deposited into my account with out signing his name and pay this bill with out getting into trouble? I don't want to spend this money myself, but he won't sign it and the bill needs to be paid. If you could help me out? E-mail me @ [email protected].

Thanks
Sandi
My response:

If you deposited the check without his signature, the check would be rejected either by the payor bank or the drawer of the check.

You need to take him into court again on an Order to Show Cause, and have the judge force him to sign the check.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">