• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Purchased boat seller has not provided title

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alplatt

What is the name of your state?Texas. My husband and I purchased a boat from a local man here in texas. We purchased it in April of 2005. He showed us a destroyed title and claimed it had been stored in the boat and sun rotted. He told us he would apply for a lost title. We recieved a bill of sale. He has given us the run around for 9 months now. We have stayed in frequent contact with him. He claims he got the title in the mail but the title is in his fathers name he took it to his father to sign and his father has lost/misplaced it again. This man that we bought this boat from is a police officer for our local law enforcment agency. I have contacted Texas Wildlife and have been informed that only person that can apply for a lost title is the named person on the title. I don't know where I can go from here. We have put time and money into this boat and can not use it. We are very fusterated and do not know our rights. Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated! Thank You!

Happy Trails

alplatt said:
What is the name of your state?Texas. My husband and I purchased a boat from a local man here in texas. We purchased it in April of 2005. He showed us a destroyed title and claimed it had been stored in the boat and sun rotted. He told us he would apply for a lost title. We recieved a bill of sale. He has given us the run around for 9 months now. We have stayed in frequent contact with him. He claims he got the title in the mail but the title is in his fathers name he took it to his father to sign and his father has lost/misplaced it again. This man that we bought this boat from is a police officer for our local law enforcment agency. I have contacted Texas Wildlife and have been informed that only person that can apply for a lost title is the named person on the title. I don't know where I can go from here. We have put time and money into this boat and can not use it. We are very fusterated and do not know our rights. Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated! Thank You!
You can't do anything as far as getting the lost title replaced yourself. Hopefully they find the misplaced title or they will have to go through the process of having another one re-issued.

ftp://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot-info/vtr/forms/vtr-34.pdf

Keep after them.

Last edited:
T

Trucking Mad

:cool: Go to the TPWD (Tx. parks & wildlife) web site and submit form PWD-763 to obtain the history of ownership on the boat. Yes form PWD-143M needs to be submited by the seller..I would obtain a copy of this form and take it to the individual.. Application for trans of title needs to be done before 20 days of date of purchase or risk of tax penalties. Good luck :cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">