• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

claming on tax return

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Virginia
I live with my boyfriend for the last 3 yrs and dont work .. but he hasnt calmed me on his tax return i was reading somewhere that he could
but im not certain .. can anyone help thanks katandkenn

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
katandkenn said:
Virginia
I live with my boyfriend for the last 3 yrs and dont work .. but he hasnt calmed me on his tax return i was reading somewhere that he could
but im not certain .. can anyone help thanks katandkenn
Ummm... I am thinking not. For the very reason that nowadays long time domestic partners can't claim each other. YOu are not a dependent or infirm so he can't claim you as a dependent. Of course a tax professional might say I am totally wrong but I am going with no.

LdiJ

Ohiogal said:
Ummm... I am thinking not. For the very reason that nowadays long time domestic partners can't claim each other. YOu are not a dependent or infirm so he can't claim you as a dependent. Of course a tax professional might say I am totally wrong but I am going with no.
You are totally wrong. Because she has lived with him all year and because she has no income, he may claim her as a dependent.

Snipes5

Those are however, remarkably similar to Canadian rules. However, since this is the US, LdiJ is correct, you are completely wrong.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">