• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I Have To File? (Social Security)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lilly

What is the name of your state? Idaho

I'm a single head of household and make around 14k per year social security, so I haven't filed federal or state tax forms for a few years on the assumption I didn't have to. I think/hope that's correct. :confused:

Anyway, last year I made the 14k SS plus I made about $1200 from contests. I may receive a 1099 for one $1000 win, but I haven't gotten it yet. Do I have to file taxes this year? If so, can you tell me which form(s) I'll need?

As you can tell, I'm confused. :D Thanks for any help!

LdiJ

Lilly said:
What is the name of your state? Idaho

I'm a single head of household and make around 14k per year social security, so I haven't filed federal or state tax forms for a few years on the assumption I didn't have to. I think/hope that's correct. :confused:

Anyway, last year I made the 14k SS plus I made about $1200 from contests. I may receive a 1099 for one $1000 win, but I haven't gotten it yet. Do I have to file taxes this year? If so, can you tell me which form(s) I'll need?

As you can tell, I'm confused. :D Thanks for any help!
No, you do not have to file. As long as your income in addition to Social Security is less than 8200.00, you are not required to file.

Lilly

Okay, good. Someone's trying to tell me that as long as SSD and "other" income doesn't total more than $25k I don't have to file. But I think maybe they're thinking of the threshold of when the SSD income becomes taxable.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">