• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

legal files

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lisj

What is the name of your state? PA
I have been having problems with my attorney for some time. He does not return phone calls, is unprepared for hearings, etc. I recently hired a new attorney. My file was requested. The first attorney called me today after receiving the request, and very rudely told me that I still have a balance. I told him that I planned to continue to make payments to him, but that I was unable to pay the entire balance at one time. He started questioning me as to what my retainer was at the new attorneys. I told him that was between the new attorney and me. He then said--that he would not release my file until the balance was paid in full. Can he do that?

seniorjudge

lisj said:
What is the name of your state? PA
I have been having problems with my attorney for some time. He does not return phone calls, is unprepared for hearings, etc. I recently hired a new attorney. My file was requested. The first attorney called me today after receiving the request, and very rudely told me that I still have a balance. I told him that I planned to continue to make payments to him, but that I was unable to pay the entire balance at one time. He started questioning me as to what my retainer was at the new attorneys. I told him that was between the new attorney and me. He then said--that he would not release my file until the balance was paid in full. Can he do that?
The file belongs to you. Camp out in the first attorney's office till you get it.

Also, turn him in here:

Pennsylvania Attorney Discipline

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">