• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ebay nightmare buyer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Leroy brown

What is the name of your state? CA

I posted my classic car on eBay a month ago and gave as best of a description of the car that I could. I mention everything that I had done to the car. A great number of bidders contacted me and asked me questions about the car. I answered all their questions to the best of my knowledge. A few bidders that came within $500 of the winning bidder viewed the car in person to low ball me. I turned them down to wait for the highest bidder. The winning bidder had only asked me one question prior to the close of the auction and I answered it.
I then had the car flat bedded to the transport company .The next contact we had we finished the deal and I got paid for the car.The car was out of my sight for 3 or 4 days and in the control of a truck transport company that the buyer paid for before he received the car out of state. Before the car was shipped I showed up at the transport company to drop off a part for the car that was for the rims. I saw them loading the car on the truck and heard the guy driving it on the truck say its broke. I asked the driver of the truck what is broke he said nothing is broke and would not tell me as he told the other driver to turn off the car. I did not push the issue since the car was paid for and I did not want to hold up the process. In hindsight I assume it was the parking brake, and that may be some of the causes for some of the buyers complaints.

When the car got to him he was upset with the car and that’s when the knit picking began. I offered advice to the problems he was having with the car until He started saying he is going to get an attorney and that I misrepresented the car and did not disclose things in the ad and that things are missing on the car. I told him I placed the ad to the best of my knowledge and that everything in it was truthful to the best of my knowledge. He did not ask any questions or inspect the car like other bidders who he beat in the auction did. I even said in the ad that If you want to view the car before bidding or have any other questions to contact me. So there would be no misunderstandings. He was asking for a partial refund or for me to sell it to the other bidder’s. Am I being extorted? I feel like he won the bid just so he could try to get some money back after the fact and if he could not then he would try to return the car. Oh yeah before I had the car shipped I did a walk around with a video camera and also have Pictures of the car from the ad That is pretty much the story so far what are my options

dallas702

If you were honest about the car you have nothing to worry about. If you lied or made gross misrepresentations the buyer could get some relief but he would have to sue you in your state. If the transport company caused damage to the car the buyer obviously has a claim against them as long as you can show that the damage wasn't there when you gave the car to the transporter.

Leroy brown

Dallas thank you for the reply, I Appreciate you taking the time out of you day to help
I was honest about the car and I believe I could back it up in court.The damage and missing trim if there was any was after I released the car. I can show that a number of ways.

PS
I am not an attorney but I believe it is a matter of buyer beware. I did my best to represent the car to the best of my knowledge.I am not a collector car inspector im a sunday driver. He had every chance to inspect the car or at least ask me further questions. His choice was to take the risk and throw caution to the wind and not spend the few hundred dollars that any rational person would have to see the car in 3d up close before making a major purchase decision.I should have looked at his negitave feedback before the sale instead of after but hind sight is 20/20. My advice to anyone reading this and thinking about ebay or any online auction is to look out for Pre Madonna buyers. A good way to Spot them is if they are not asking enough questions or they are asking to many questions tell them you will not sell to them because in the end they will not be happy and you will not be happy. All in all the night mare is not worth it.

Last edited:

dallas702

Leroy;

If your buyer contracted with the shipper it is his responsibility to deal with the problem with them. As Herod did regarding Jesus, you can wash your hands of it.

Now, go buy another collector car.

Did you mean "prima donna" (aka primadonna)? I thought you were talking about someone over 40.

:)

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">