• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Out of sight, out of mind?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Taliesynne

I live in Texas, and I have been separated (not a legal separation) from my erstwhile wife since April 1998. In this time, we have had no contact whatsoever, not even by phone or mail. I would like to know if this is grounds for dissolution of the marriage, and what I would have to do to achieve the dissolution. I have checked with the courts and there is no divorce decree on file. Also, since we have had no contact in this time, I no longer have a valid address for her, or even if she is still within the state. Help!! I want to put that mess behind me!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Taliesynne said:
I live in Texas, and I have been separated (not a legal separation) from my erstwhile wife since April 1998. In this time, we have had no contact whatsoever, not even by phone or mail. I would like to know if this is grounds for dissolution of the marriage, and what I would have to do to achieve the dissolution. I have checked with the courts and there is no divorce decree on file. Also, since we have had no contact in this time, I no longer have a valid address for her, or even if she is still within the state. Help!! I want to put that mess behind me!

My response:

You have met the "separation" requirement of Texas. Now all you have to do is file for divorce. If you don't know where she is, all you have to do is have your attorney publish the Petition in a newspaper of general circulation in the town or city where you last knew her to reside.

That was a very simple explanation. It is quite a bit more complicated (court orders required) and costly (about $1,500.00 more) than it sounds.

IAAL

[Edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE on 12-04-2000 at 07:20 PM]

C

cat2young

IAAL?

Doesn't TX have those everybody agrees let's sign on the dotted line cheapies? If they have been out of contact that long I take it there are no issues to settle. Finding her might be cheaper and quicker.

L

LadyBlu

Re: IAAL?

cat2young said:
Doesn't TX have those everybody agrees let's sign on the dotted line cheapies? If they have been out of contact that long I take it there are no issues to settle. Finding her might be cheaper and quicker.
Yes TX does have the no fault divorces, but the key for that one to float would be finding the soon to be ex, at least for this poster it would be.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">