• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unpaid wages

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Terri Haworth

My daughter worked at a nationally known bookstore in Lakeland. When she went to college in Tallahasee she transferred to the store there in town. (same company) She was a pt employee and was mainly working weekends due to her studies. She started her employment there on Aug 25 and worked (25th, 26th and 27th) She worked up to Oct. To make this as short as possible I won't go into all the details. At 3 weeks into employment she was told she wouldn't recieve her first paycheck until 5 weeks. At 5 weeks they still had no paycheck for her. When she asked the manager on duty she was only told it wasn't there. They never checked into why. She told me at that time that she would only work a week or two longer and if she didn't get a paycheck still- she wasn't going back. She didn't get one still and left. A month and a half ago I myself talked to the general manager (on a fri) She said she would check into it and call me back the following Mon. I never recieved a call. I called about 2 to 3 weeks after that and was told by the manager on duty that he would check into it and call payroll then call me back. Again- he never did. I placed a 3rd call today and spoke to yet another manager. He said he would check it out and did call me back. Claims my daughter only worked 3 days in that entire time. ( daughter refutes this information strongly). Two weeks ago she was sent a paycheck to her home address for the amount of 12.04. The stub does not show hours and the only date is the date it was printed. Her wages were $6 an hour and her shifts were always at least 8 hr shifts.
Bottom line....what do I do? She didn't write down all of the days she worked and employees were not given a schedule- it was merely posted. Manager claims 3 time cards match up to the 3 days scheduled to work and she called in sick for all others.( he only has 2 days of time cards) Daughter claims this is not true very adamantely. She says it can be proven she was there other days through journal entries which she was supposed to sign at the end of each shift though she there were a day or two which she did not make an entry. She also claims that she had to sign her initials on a paper to state she made store announcement each hour. She did not have her own sign on the register until the last day she worked......she had to use the general store sign on. I brought this to the attention of the manager and he was very uninterested in checking these things out and even claims the register has no sign on at all. How do I fight this wrong? Any existing proof is within their walls and she has access to nothing to prove a thing-- does this only go by what they claim even if it is untrue? Their record keeping is awful- time cards are accessible to anyone who might"go in the back" according to daughter. How can they get away with this? She has no money and has been scrapping for every dime she can get. Please help me....you can also email me at [email protected]. Please Help!!!

B

buddy2bear

Call you State's wage and hour division and file a claim. They will have the clout to get copies of all payroll records, timecards, etc., for the relevant time period and relevant people involved.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">