• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce and our Home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

clastition

My wife and I are getting a divorce. We have an offer on our house. Is there anything I should do or be concerned with about the sale of the house. We have already split up everything else in the house and the house is the last thing. We will get zero profit from the house. So one one benefits from the sale ? Please tell me what to do.

to10dbar

Multiple appraisals

Ensure that the price u r selling your house for is fair market value. Different real estate appraisers will come in differently, could vary as much as 20k or so. You have every right to request multiple appraisals and can refuse the sale of the house unless you both agree on the sale price. You always have to consider that an appraiser might come in at even value so he/she does not stir up any more hassles if they know u r getting divorced.

nextwife

Yes you can. But one should look at the BIG picture. The next few months are traditionally very slow sales times. I have seen people lose a decent offer (maybe not exactly what they hoped for) by putting off the buyers, who promptly went "up the road" and bought another place. The house then sat on the market for months, resulting in thousands in additional "holding costs" until a spring offer came in. In some markets, a reasonable offer in December should br GRABBED, because the next offer may be no higher and will result in many more months of tax, water. sewer prorations, winter heating costs, plowing costs, mortgage payments, etc.

Try not to be penny wise but pound foolish.

cyana24

nextwife said:
Yes you can. But one should look at the BIG picture. The next few months are traditionally very slow sales times. I have seen people lose a decent offer (maybe not exactly what they hoped for) by putting off the buyers, who promptly went "up the road" and bought another place. The house then sat on the market for months, resulting in thousands in additional "holding costs" until a spring offer came in. In some markets, a reasonable offer in December should br GRABBED, because the next offer may be no higher and will result in many more months of tax, water. sewer prorations, winter heating costs, plowing costs, mortgage payments, etc.

Try not to be penny wise but pound foolish.
I totally agree - I sold my house last December after having it on the market three days. I realized that I could have gotten at least $2-4K more by waiting but I could barely pay the first and second mortgages, not to mention the sewer bill due in February of this year, as well as perhaps months homeowners insurance and taxes. So I made the decision to sell - took my share and ran :).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">