• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marital Relationship

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MirandaT

I live in Houston, TX and my live-in boyfriend is currently in law school and took a class last semester called marital property. He claims that we have some sort of "marital relationship." Not common-law because we don't introduce ourselves as husband and wife, but he says because we live together there are some joint property-type of laws that apply to us. I'm not really sure I understand, but I'm concerned that if I leave him, he will try and get money from me. Are there such laws and can he claim any of my assets?

LegalBeagle

MirandaT said:
I live in Houston, TX and my live-in boyfriend is currently in law school and took a class last semester called marital property. He claims that we have some sort of "marital relationship." Not common-law because we don't introduce ourselves as husband and wife, but he says because we live together there are some joint property-type of laws that apply to us. I'm not really sure I understand, but I'm concerned that if I leave him, he will try and get money from me. Are there such laws and can he claim any of my assets?
What is it you own ?? How long have you been together ? What has he contributed to the things you own ?

M

MirandaT

I don't have much. I have some stocks, money in savings and a car. Nothing of which he contributed toward. We've been together for a year and a half, living together for 1 year.

LegalBeagle

MirandaT said:
I don't have much. I have some stocks, money in savings and a car. Nothing of which he contributed toward. We've been together for a year and a half, living together for 1 year.
If he has not contributed to anything then he has no claim of them. Also, if he is making noises like this, I suggest you seriously consider the relationship before he gains more knowledge and more 'power' ..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">