• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

IRA and Divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

waata99

What is the name of your state? MICH

My brother is going through a divorce. He has an self directed IRA which his wife has been pulling money from to live on under a court order. He's in prison as of Dec. 2005, she's filed civil suit, she'll most likely get all of what is in the IRA. My question is...is she at responsible for the taxes due on the disbersments from that account for 2005 and forward?

waata99

LdiJ

waata99 said:
What is the name of your state? MICH

My brother is going through a divorce. He has an self directed IRA which his wife has been pulling money from to live on under a court order. He's in prison as of Dec. 2005, she's filed civil suit, she'll most likely get all of what is in the IRA. My question is...is she at responsible for the taxes due on the disbersments from that account for 2005 and forward?

waata99
Certainly, on an ongoing basis, once the IRA is officially her property, she will be responsible for the taxes.

However it could be tricky for the interim period. It depends on who gets the 1099-R. Hopefully its been structured so that she will receive the 1099-R.

W

waata99

update

Should I do his taxes for him asap, or doesn't it much matter until the divorce is settle in the next 2 months?
waata

abezon

When he files doesn't matter. The key is whether the IRA trustee reports the disbursements under his SSN or hers.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">