• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

filing taxes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

countrycowgirl1

What is the name of your state? kentucky
My husband and i are seperated and in 2005 we had a daughter that passed away. we recieved a sum for her life insurance policy. was wondering if life insurance is taxable and can we claim her on taxes for this year since she was born and survived 4 days and recieved a social security card... any help would be appreciated.. thanks

LdiJ

countrycowgirl1 said:
What is the name of your state? kentucky
My husband and i are seperated and in 2005 we had a daughter that passed away. we recieved a sum for her life insurance policy. was wondering if life insurance is taxable and can we claim her on taxes for this year since she was born and survived 4 days and recieved a social security card... any help would be appreciated.. thanks
Yes, you may claim her. No, the life insurance is not taxable income.

abezon

When the computer asks, say that she lived with you for 12 months. This will let the software prepare the return correctly.

Do you plan to file jointly? If not, were you separated when she was born? When did you separate? One of you might qualify to file head of household.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">