• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

property/car damage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

reveille

What is the name of your state?... Minnesota.

I did something totally out of character about a week ago.
I was intoxicated and upset, and i broke a few windows on my boyfriends house. (not trespassing, he gave me a key).
I also smashed up a car pretty badly. estimates were $1900.

The person and i are on good terms right now, as i admitted to the crimes and paid him for the damage done to the windows the very next day.

As for the car, it was not his. This person hasnt gotten in contact with me, and my boyfriend refuses to give me her information so i cannot contact her.
I am trying to be very cooperative as to not get charges pressed or let it go to court. I offered to pay the entire auto bill, but he insists that the check be written out to HIM. I said if he wasnt going to get the car fixed and wanted cash, i would settle on a price but not the entire $1900.
He now wants to press charges because i will not pay the cost in cash to him.
If its not even his car, does he even have a case?
What can happen if SHE presses charges?
Is it in my best interest to just give him the money?
This is would be my first offense, and i am new to how the entire lawyer/court system works, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

gawm

I can understand why is new girlfriend does not want his Psycho ex having info about her. I think it would be in your best interest to settle this because if they press charges you will end up paying court cost also (plus you don't want anything on your record). Tell him to get a written estimate and pay it, that's my advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">