• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trespassing - Texas Penalty?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Timbo

What is the name of your state? TEXAS

Hi,

I was riding my motorcycle along the bayou on some motorcycle trails when a police officer stopped me. Says if he ever sees me riding again, he'll take me to jail for trespassing.

What type of charges and penalties can I receive if caught riding the trails again?

Thanks.

Heather2

Timbo said:
What is the name of your state? TEXAS

Hi,

I was riding my motorcycle along the bayou on some motorcycle trails when a police officer stopped me. Says if he ever sees me riding again, he'll take me to jail for trespassing.

What type of charges and penalties can I receive if caught riding the trails again?

Thanks.
Did this happen in Tarrant county? I've had the same problem there.

Heather2

Timbo said:
Hi,

It was between Harris County and Katy near Mason Road.

Tim
Oh ya, I've been there once. We got ran off by the cops too.

I believe trespassing is a Class B misdemeanor: 180 days in jail and/or $2000 fine. I doubt you would get jail time though. In my experience most cops will not give you a citation but just ask you to leave the property.

Heh if you are really trespassing on someone's property punishment could go all the way up to you being shot and killed.

What I'm really curious about is where were you trespassing on where a police officer was there himself and he wasnt trespassing aswell?

Usually for it to be trespassing the owner himself has to not want you to be there?

Who owns this property yall were on? Cause the way you describe the situation it sounds a bit shady.

Its one thing if the property owner or someone incharge of or working that property to tell you to leave because you are trespassing.

It seems to be something completely different when some LEO decides you are trespassing on property that presumably he doesnt own or control.

Last edited:

Heather2

Jack_David said:
What I'm really curious about is where were you trespassing on where a police officer was there himself and he wasnt trespassing aswell?

Usually for it to be trespassing the owner himself has to not want you to be there?
There are many spots in Texas where dirt bikers frequently go. Sometimes the land is owned by citizens some is owned by the city but either way they don't want them (bikers) tearing up their land so they have a cop patrol the area to get rid of them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">