• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dad hasn't filed returns since 2001 - Help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kgrey

What is the name of your state? Connecticut.

Just found out my dad has not filed tax returnes (Federal or State) since 2001. He retired in 1998. He has only been taking money from 401K for living expenses. I'm not sure how much annually. He has also been receiving Social Security for some of the past years.

How much trouble is he in? To my knowledge the IRS hasn't come calling. The sate has put a lein on his house for $1700.00 (though a rep told him not to pay the amount if he disputed it). There is an issue of mental problems...we didn't really know how serious until recently.

What do we have to do to get this straightened out? Where do we begin?

Thank you.

LdiJ

kgrey said:
What is the name of your state? Connecticut.

Just found out my dad has not filed tax returnes (Federal or State) since 2001. He retired in 1998. He has only been taking money from 401K for living expenses. I'm not sure how much annually. He has also been receiving Social Security for some of the past years.

How much trouble is he in? To my knowledge the IRS hasn't come calling. The sate has put a lein on his house for $1700.00 (though a rep told him not to pay the amount if he disputed it). There is an issue of mental problems...we didn't really know how serious until recently.

What do we have to do to get this straightened out? Where do we begin?

Thank you.
It would be best for you to take everything to a professional tax preparer. They can do the returns for the years in question and calculate how much he owes. Unless he had taxes withheld from either social security or his 401k disbursements, its likely that he is going to owe some taxes for each of the years. So be prepared for that.

Once you have had the state returns done you will know whether or not you need to dispute the lien....or dispute it in part.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">