• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

When is Theft a Criminal Matter?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mitousmom

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? TN

A relative was living rent free in my deceased mother's home. He wouldn't vacate when asked, so he was evicted. He left, but took all of her furnishings, clothes, antiques, silver, etc. valued at over $85,000. Is this a criminal offense?

Thanks

Just Blue

mitousmom said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? TN

A relative was living rent free in my deceased mother's home. He wouldn't vacate when asked, so he was evicted. He left, but took all of her furnishings, clothes, antiques, silver, etc. valued at over $85,000. Is this a criminal offense?

Thanks
Yes!! Did you call the police and report it?? ...unless...did this person think he had a "right" to take those items?? :confused:

mitousmom

Thanks for your quick response.

We called the police and they said that it was a civil matter.

No, he had no right to take my mother's belongings. The evicting judge told him not to take anything that didn't belong to him.

Just Blue

mitousmom said:
Thanks for your quick response.

We called the police and they said that it was a civil matter.

No, he had no right to take my mother's belongings. The evicting judge told him not to take anything that didn't belong to him.

What is the "relationship" between you and this guy??
I can't understand why the police would not help you ...This should be considered Grand Theft...Call the Chief of police and talk to him/her...this just does'nt sound right, its not like it was a TV or something...

mitousmom

The guy is my second cousin. Other than that, we don't have a relationship. My mother's house had been unoccupied for a few months. My brother didn't think it was a good idea to have the house vacant, so he gave him permission to live there rent free until we needed the house.

Just Blue

mitousmom said:
The guy is my second cousin. Other than that, we don't have a relationship. My mother's house had been unoccupied for a few months. My brother didn't think it was a good idea to have the house vacant, so he gave him permission to live there rent free until we needed the house.
Stick around...I am sure a cop or a lawyer will respond to this one...

Two Bit

I think baystategirl is correct. This is a theft. It's not pretty because there could be civil issue about who is the proper owner of the furnishings.

Make sure that the police understand that you're reporting about the furnishings being stolen. The living rent free issue is a civil matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">