• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Certificate of Service

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

1Peter169

What is the name of your state? Iowa

I am handling my divorce case pro se. I have been filing motions and responses since July 2005. Up until this past month, they have been accepted by the clerk of court and added to my file. Now, my son's attorney is making a big stink out of the fact that I didn't include a certificate of service. I have been sending copies of everything to my wife's attorney, but not to my son's attorney. So, now the court is asking me to file a certificate of service with them. How do I go about doing that???

1Peter169

Thanks Anyway

1Peter169 said:
What is the name of your state? Iowa

I am handling my divorce case pro se. I have been filing motions and responses since July 2005. Up until this past month, they have been accepted by the clerk of court and added to my file. Now, my son's attorney is making a big stink out of the fact that I didn't include a certificate of service. I have been sending copies of everything to my wife's attorney, but not to my son's attorney. So, now the court is asking me to file a certificate of service with them. How do I go about doing that???
As it turns out, I answered my own question! I found the info @

Family Rights Association

1Peter169

HomeGuru said:
that's good because I could not figure out how your son was involved.
My son is not really involved. He just has an attorney that my wife hired for him. Go figure. It's pretty sad when the parents get divorced and the kids get their own attorney.

HomeGuru

1Peter169 said:
My son is not really involved. He just has an attorney that my wife hired for him. Go figure. It's pretty sad when the parents get divorced and the kids get their own attorney.

**A: very sad**************.

1Peter169

More On This Same Subject

Ok, so far I've learned that a certificate of service needs to be included in all legal papers to confirm that copies have been sent to the other parties involved, (my wife's attorney and my son's attorney). This certificate also needs to be notarized. My question is...does it have to be notarized by me or can it be notarized by a friend or relative who is doing the filing at the courthouse and mailing the documents?

Next question: Does is actually have to be notarized? Since I'm acting pro se, can't I just sign it myself without the notary?

Any info would be appreciated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">