• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wage/Gender Discrimination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

harveyb

I currently work within a male dominated environment as one of two females. My position essentially requires that I manage one of the services our company provides which includes intensive client interaction, development of client materials, and assurance of satisfaction. The client satisfaction I've generated has also lead to referrals and ultimately, additional revenue. I've discovered that a male colleague is making double (hourly) of what I'm making for entry-level tasks and daily lunch with the boss. He only has a high school diploma; I have a college degree. Also, I was put on salary to compensate me for a full 40 hour week after a commission-based income. Now that my salary has been implemented, my boss has not only tried to increase my work load, but implies that I should be working overtime to fulfill other duties outside of the 40 hour work week to "earn" my salary. I've also discovered that he offered to compensate another male colleague for any extra responsibilities he should fulfill in my boss's absence. There have been other instances of overt favoritsm but I'm not sure if they constitute unlawful discrimination. Is what he's doing illegal?

C

codderkate

similar circumstances

Hi, codderkate here. I hope you get a reply. My post "uncompensated for higher level work" is similar in that I was drafted to complete a project that a male management person left behind when he walked off the job! I have received no compensation and I'm not even management. Here's hoping that they reply to your question and it will help me. It's a common problem for women.

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

What he is doing is prevalent for us gals! So...if you quantify this, you may have a claim. BUt you didn't mention your state, so I can only give you this:

For the same work, you should be compensated the same. If you have the higher degree, common sense dictates you should be paid more. Go talk to a labor law attorney in your state and start from there. It may give you at least some peace of mind.

Try attorneypages.com or call your state bar association and ask for lawyer referral.

B

buddy2bear

Before you contact a labor attorney, read the Equal Pay Act and get your paper ducks in a row. You should be able to find the whole Act on the Department of Labor website, which I believe is http://www.dol.gov.

Lots of luck -- women are still being paid only 80% of male wages even after all this time and the fact that the workforce is now 49% female and growing!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">