• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need to file New York State Return?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lykele

What is the name of your state? New York

My very elderly parents do not have to file a Federal Tax Return since their gross income falls well below the amount required to do such. My question is are they required to file a New York State tax return?

I called the 800 question line for New York State and was told "we conform to the standards of the Federal rules". Or something of that nature. In fact, if you actually plug in the numbers to the New York form the amount owed/refunded is zero.

But the booklet has confused us when it says even if you do not have to file federal you might have to file state if the federal adjusted gross income is more than $4000. So I don't know. Both are full time residents. Income is Social Security, minor interest, very small pension.

When your parents are in their 80's a small issue such as filing or not takes on a life of it's own!

Would anyone know the answer?

Thanks Jim

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">