• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can you sue a Breeder for Vet Bills?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

annak

Hello:

Thank you for any help you can provide.
My boyfriend and I recently bought a dog from a couple in Logan Ohio. We bought the dog on Oct 8, 2000. The pup was a full bred boxer pup, she came with AKC papers. We were told by the breeder that cash was the only acceptable form of payment.
We took the pup to our Vet within 48 hours of bringing her home. She was very ill, had signs of mistreatment, underwieght, dehydrated, malnurished and pale. The pup had an obvious heart murmur. We called the breeder on returning home and told her about the problem. she was very angry. She told us to bring the pup back. We asked if we could have a 2 week extension on a return. We wanted to see if we could help the pup (kids and I already loved her). The breeder agreed and was glad to know we were not driving down to Logan to get our money back. We asked for info from her vet, she refused to give us the vets name.
Long and short of it,
The pup needed a blood transfusion a week later, it was determined she has carried a heavey parasite and flea load which caused her to nearly die.
The breeder was very angry with us. She called continuously and demanded return of the puppy.

Is she responsible for the vet bills related to the pups illness?
Is she responsible to return the purchase priceof the pup even when we didn't return her?
Do I have a small claims court case?
Where do I file, her town or mine?

Thank you
Anna
Dublin, OHio

I

iamtootired

Annak,
I fell very sad about your pup. I know how children get attached with animals in a short period of time.
I am not a lawyer and my advice is from a lay person that loves animals and hate to see them abused.
I think you should call the SPCA or the Attorney General and report the person that sold the pup to you. My conclusion is that if she sold you a sick dog and she got upset with you and only accept cash and refuse to give you the vets name...sounds "no good at all"....
If she is doing business selling pets, she must follow rules and laws.
You have to decide the fate of the pup. If you want to return or take care of her. ( What is your vet opinion of the case? Your vet thinks that the pup is going to have a complete recover ?)
I really suggest you to call the attorney general and explain the case to someone there. They can be very helpfull.
The Courts usually have a lawyer that can give you free advice in your case.
Again, I am not a lawyer and my advice is from heart.
Good Luck.

A

annak

Thank You

I appreciate your advice.

From the heart myself I am happy to say,
the blood transfusion worked and I have been up all night with a frisky Boxer named Luna.

I have been to the Humane Society (they provided a 4 day notice on a visit, plus this lady was preparing to sell her house) by the time the Humane Society got there, all fleas, puppies, were gone, the house was cleaned, and the dogs in kennels in the back. They actually made friends.
I found another person who nearly bought a dog from the same breeder and she had a similiar horror story, so I called HS again, and she got up in arms again, but noword since. They have also been reported to the AKC.

I will follow up on the Attorney Generals office though, I had not thought of that,
I just want her to not do this to another family, and all the reasonable avenues have failed (accepted they were kicked from the AKC)

Onward and Upward,
Oh, if youlike, my pup is posted on my website at
http://members.tripod.com/ZOE_3/index.htm

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">