• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New Hampshire -- Forgery & Theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

glytch

What is the name of your state? New Hampshire

I'm soon to have an arrest warrant out for my name for charges of theft and forgery.

The amount of the theft is 450 dollars and the forgery was signing department store refund slips.

Now, I've done some research.

638:1 Forgery. –
I. A person is guilty of forgery if, with purpose to defraud anyone, or with knowledge that he is facilitating a fraud to be perpetrated by anyone, he:
(a) Alters any writing of another without his authority or utters any such altered writing; or
(b) Makes, completes, executes, authenticates, issues, transfers, publishes or otherwise utters any writing so that it purports to be the act of another, or purports to have been executed at a time or place or in a numbered sequence other than was in fact the case, or to be a copy of an original when no such original existed.
II. As used in this section, ""writing'' includes printing or any other method of recording information, checks, tokens, stamps, seals, credit cards, badges, trademarks, and other symbols of value, right, privilege, or identification.
III. Forgery is a class B felony if the writing is or purports to be:
(a) A security, revenue stamp, or any other instrument issued by a government, or any agency thereof; or
(b) A check, an issue of stocks, bonds, or any other instrument representing an interest in or a claim against property, or a pecuniary interest in or claim against any person or enterprise.
IV. All other forgery is a class B misdemeanor.
V. A person is guilty of a class B misdemeanor if he knowingly possesses any writing that is a forgery under this section or any device for making any such writing. It is an affirmative defense to prosecution under this paragraph that the possession was without an intent to defraud.
Source. 1971, 518:1. 1992, 269:15, eff. July 1, 1992.

In my case, my forgery is section IV, correct? A class B misdemeanor?

As far as theft goes..

637:11 Penalties. –
I. Theft constitutes a class A felony if:
(a) The value of the property or services exceeds $1,000, or
(b) The property stolen is a firearm, or
(c) The actor is armed with a deadly weapon at the time of the theft, except that if the deadly weapon is a firearm, he shall be sentenced in accordance with RSA 651:2, II-g.
II. Theft constitutes a class B felony if:
(a) The value of the property or services is more than $500 but not more than $1000, or
(b) The actor has been twice before convicted of theft of property or services, as a felony or class A misdemeanor, or
(c) The theft constitutes a violation of RSA 637:5, II(a) or (b), or
(d) The property or services stolen are from 3 separate business establishments within a 72-hour period.
III. Theft constitutes a misdemeanor if the value of the property or services does not exceed $500.
Source. 1971, 518:1. 1977, 187:2. 1979, 266:1. 1990, 95:6. 1992, 269:14, 22, II, eff. July 1, 1992. 2001, 174:2, eff. Jan. 1, 2002.

My theft would be section III, right? A misdemeanor? But, which class is it? A or B?

I know a class A misdemeanor carries the possibility of up to a one-year sentence, while B doesn't.

I've never been arrested before, nor charged with any crime, any advice on what I should expect? Thanks.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">