• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

LLC taxed as a C Corp. a good choice?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nydana8

What is the name of your state? California

I am planning to open up a 2 member LLC where one of the members is a foreigner. He is here on an extended visa but not allowed to work. The idea is that he will put in capital but not receive any income from the LLC.

QUESTION: Is this legal? I know other people in the same situation, for ex. a teacher who was teaching in the US but requested that his pay be donated to a charity, for the reason that he was on a visa that did not allow him to work in the US. From what I understand it is not about "working" per se, but about receiving income.

In this situation I assume that the only choice is to elect to be taxed as a C Corp? Can we elect taxation as a Partnership if the Foreign member does not take any income? The LLC's line of business is Media Production with focus on Internet based radio. We do not expect to keep a lot of the profit in the company except for the first year or so, when we would need to buy inventory.
Also, because from what I understand the method of taxation stays with the company for 5 years: if we elect to be taxed as a C Corp., ibut later find out that it does no longer apply and we would want to be taxed as a Partnership, can we just close the company & open up another? What are the downs of doing this?

Thanks a lot!

Danielle

LdiJ

nydana8 said:
What is the name of your state? California

I am planning to open up a 2 member LLC where one of the members is a foreigner. He is here on an extended visa but not allowed to work. The idea is that he will put in capital but not receive any income from the LLC.

QUESTION: Is this legal? I know other people in the same situation, for ex. a teacher who was teaching in the US but requested that his pay be donated to a charity, for the reason that he was on a visa that did not allow him to work in the US. From what I understand it is not about "working" per se, but about receiving income.

In this situation I assume that the only choice is to elect to be taxed as a C Corp? Can we elect taxation as a Partnership if the Foreign member does not take any income? The LLC's line of business is Media Production with focus on Internet based radio. We do not expect to keep a lot of the profit in the company except for the first year or so, when we would need to buy inventory.
Also, because from what I understand the method of taxation stays with the company for 5 years: if we elect to be taxed as a C Corp., ibut later find out that it does no longer apply and we would want to be taxed as a Partnership, can we just close the company & open up another? What are the downs of doing this?

Thanks a lot!

Danielle
An LLC with foreign members can be taxed as a partnership. I was a member of an LLC with that exact set up about six years ago.

The income will flow through to the individual partners on a K1, so your foreign partner will be responsible for US taxes on his/her share of the partnership income. This doesn't count as "working" it counts as owning a business. A foreign individual is not prohibited from owning, or investing in a business in the US, or from receiving profits from the business.

Its only an S corp that cannot have foreign individuals as shareholders.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">