• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have to testify?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bdacuerpo

In the state of Minnesota.

If I have material information for a fellony 'failure to file state return' case that is currently being prosecuted do I have a legal responsibility to offer the prosecution the information I have? I have not been sopena'd

What about if I know of tax crimes that are not being prosecuted yet?

I want to be sure that in the future, my silence now about someone else's violations could not get me in trouble.

abezon

You do not have a legal obligation to volunteer information about tax fraud unless you are subpoenaed. If you acted as the tax preparer, you have a duty under the financial provacy laws *not* to disclose information learned while preparing taxes.

What about your moral obligations? What kind of example do you want to set for your kids/friends? Not the best lesson in citizenship you could impart, is it?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">