• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

12 pounds of marijuana

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

information

I am seeking information for a freind, the D.E.A. (?) came into her home last night, and seized 12 lbs of marijuana. She was not arrested, they took 2700.00 in cash and the drugs. I don't know if this group is from the police force, but I have viewed the paper work they left her with. I am not sure if I am allowed to put the name of this organization here, so I won't.
This took place in Flint, Michigan. The police(?) want her to "set up" her supplier with two kilos of coke. I have adviced her to get an attorney, but they are pressuring her to do the "set up" very quickly, in a matter of days, and it will be easier for her, especially if it is a big bust.
How much trouble is she going to be in. Although it sounds as if she is a big dealer, she is not, and has no money, she also is very scared about her husband and son, that have nothing to do with this but she was told her husband can be arrested also. Why did they not arrest her right at that point? There was also not a warrant, but she was led to believe one could be produced, while they waited. What are the laws and limits and punishments for this amount in Michigan?

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

They needed a warrant to seize. If they didn't have one, drug bust is a bust and they can't charge her with anything because all the evidence they seized will be excluded. called fruit of the poisonous tree doctrine. Essentially, if the drugs were the result of the illegal bust (no warrant), they can't submit the evidence unless there was an independent way of getting it. Doesn't seem like that here.

As to your sister, seems they want her to act as an informant or something. She needs a lawyer and can get one asap (call state bar or http://www.attorneypages.com). She may be able to exchange them dropping charges with her cooperation.

I

information

Thank you for the information. Although, I am still unsure as to the extent of the punishment for this amount. I am interested in what they could give her for that. I will be giving her the information you have provided all ready.
Thanks.

I

information

the state is Michigan.
Thank you for all the information you have all ready given to me, she has been in contact with an attorney, but I would still like to know the extent of the punishment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">