• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Defamation of Character & Harrasment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MLHT

I live and work in California. For the past 4 1/2 years I have worked for the same company with a excellent track record. In October 99 I got a new boss and approx 5 months later he turned on me. He called a meeting and called me a liar in front of two of my co-workers. I then proved to him that I was not un-truthful by presenting e-mails, a third party witness, and documentation. However, the relationship has gone down hill ever since. He has talked about me to other co-workers in a demeaning fashion and has made it quite clear that he does not want me as an employee. My work environment has become extremely stressful to the point I found new employment. I did bring this matter to the attention of our Director and the head of HR well before this however, nothing was done. I was offered a matching salary and requested to stay, with the company, with the promise I could move into another position when one came available.

This person has lied to the Director about everything he has said and done and has down played the conflict. However, I have witnesses that if pushed would testify on my behalf on how he has been treating me and actual comments he has made about me to them. I have had one meeting with HR, our Director, and this person regarding the conflict however, I don't see this situation getting any better.

My question is if I had to, do I have legal grounds to sue him for defamation of character or is this kind of conduct not anything to legally act upon?

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Some states prohibit defamation suits against employees/bosses. Check all of employment law and subsections at the freeadvice.com homepage.

You might have a constructive termination/intolerable condition claim.

Try attorneypages.com or call your state bar association. If you can substantiate his comments with those documents and emails you mentioned, you have a good chance to walk away with pride.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">