• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Claiming Tuition

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Skylyn

What is the name of your state? PA although this concerns fed income tax

I'm attending college part-time, completing a second BA (I already have a completed BA from several years ago). No student loans are involved.

I pay my tuition directly to the school from my checking account. My employer reimburses me directly for 75% after each semester. I received a tax form from the school with a letter mentioning that tuition can, in some cases, be deducted.

Would I be able to claim the full amount, only 25%, or none at all on my federal income taxes? Any thoughts? TIA.

LdiJ

Skylyn said:
What is the name of your state? PA although this concerns fed income tax

I'm attending college part-time, completing a second BA (I already have a completed BA from several years ago). No student loans are involved.

I pay my tuition directly to the school from my checking account. My employer reimburses me directly for 75% after each semester. I received a tax form from the school with a letter mentioning that tuition can, in some cases, be deducted.

Would I be able to claim the full amount, only 25%, or none at all on my federal income taxes? Any thoughts? TIA.
You would be eligible to take the "Lifetime Learning credit" for the 25% that was not reimbursed by your employer.

abezon

Unless your employer included the reimbursements in your income -- check your W-2 carefully. The tuition payments should be reported in box 12 or 14, or included in box 1 as wages. If the reimbursements are included in income, you can take a deduction/credit on the full amount of tuition & fees.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">