• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Questions on atty billing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MrsW

What is the name of your state? Mi

I retained a lawyer for a simple divorce w/ children on 1-2-03. At this time he advised me that I would need a $500 retainer fee to start the process. We went threw the whole 6 month wait the regular proceedures w/o any clinches. He never once billed me or spoke of me oweing him any more money. My divorce was final on 6-6-03. I now today 1-21-06 received a bill from him for $1205. Not only did I receive it 3 years later. The bill is dated December 29, 2005 and was sent to my parents home instead of my own which I received postmarked 1-19-06. My address has not changed from the information provided to the atty originally. Is there something I can do about this?

Litigation!

MrsW said:
What is the name of your state? Mi

I retained a lawyer for a simple divorce w/ children on 1-2-03. At this time he advised me that I would need a $500 retainer fee to start the process. We went threw the whole 6 month wait the regular proceedures w/o any clinches. He never once billed me or spoke of me oweing him any more money. My divorce was final on 6-6-03. I now today 1-21-06 received a bill from him for $1205. Not only did I receive it 3 years later. The bill is dated December 29, 2005 and was sent to my parents home instead of my own which I received postmarked 1-19-06. My address has not changed from the information provided to the atty originally. Is there something I can do about this?

My response:

Yes. You can jump up and down, scream, cry and run around like a chicken without it's head. Then, you can pay your bill.

IAAL

MrsW

Is this considered normal practice of an attorney? Or after paying my bill should or could I report this to someone?

45Frank

Well obviousely his trip th the bahamas over christmas was more then he expected and needed to bill some people extra. ;)
My attorney never did anything without telling me how much first, I didn't always pay him at that point but he made sure I new about it. :(

Dandy Don

At the time you hired him, did he ask you to sign a fee agreement after paying the retainer, or was nothing signed at all? Did he mention his fee rate at all or did he deliberately not discuss it?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">