• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

bad engine

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

acesneights41

:mad: What is the name of your state? NE

We went to south dakota to by a car. It was a 2001 Kia Rio. We paid by check. On the way home actually 70 miles down the road. It died!!! We found out the motor is ruined. I want to do what is right. I'm wondering about stopping payment on check and returning the car. Already talked to the dealer and he said he won't take the car back. What are my options I really need some good advice. Thanks

seniorjudge

acesneights41 said:
:mad: What is the name of your state? NE

We went to south dakota to by a car. It was a 2001 Kia Rio. We paid by check. On the way home actually 70 miles down the road. It died!!! We found out the motor is ruined. I want to do what is right. I'm wondering about stopping payment on check and returning the car. Already talked to the dealer and he said he won't take the car back. What are my options I really need some good advice. Thanks
You're stuck with a bum car unless the dealer gave you some kind of warranty.

kia motor kicked the bucket in SD

seniorjudge said:
You're stuck with a bum car unless the dealer gave you some kind of warranty.
If the dealer did provide a warranty, it was probably for 69miles/1hour.

On a serious note, what is the factory warranty on the car (powertrain) and what are the miles? Look in the owners manual or warranty book.

Also: did the dealer provide you with a buyer's guide? It's the one ALL used cars require. It will have, among other writing, two boxes that can be checked. The first box says "as-is, no warranty" the second says "warranty". One or the other must be checked, and they HAVE to give you a copy.

If you didn't receive a buyer's guide, I would contact an attorney and or the state DMV.

What exactly went wrong with the engine?

Last edited:

acesneights41

the timing belt slipped and the pistons destroyed the heads and even shattered the spark plugs. The buyers guide we had was marked warranty put nothing else. It was not signed by the dealer or anything.

Does this mean we have some kind of warranty and if so what. I did check the KIA warranty and it is pass the miles. Please Help

seniorjudge

acesneights41 said:
Does this fall under Nebraska law where we live or South Dakota where we bought it.
Anything regarding this vehicle would come under the law of the place where it was bought.

acesneights41

Since the Buyers Guide has a check mark by the warranty box what right does this give us to return the car and get our money back

seniorjudge

acesneights41 said:
Since the Buyers Guide has a check mark by the warranty box what right does this give us to return the car and get our money back
A check mark by the warranty box is a check mark by the warranty box.

If you do not have a warranty, you have a piece of junk.

acesneights41 said:
the timing belt slipped and the pistons destroyed the heads and even shattered the spark plugs. The buyers guide we had was marked warranty put nothing else. It was not signed by the dealer or anything.

Does this mean we have some kind of warranty and if so what. I did check the KIA warranty and it is pass the miles. Please Help
The dealer MIGHT have made a large mistake by not specifying what sort of warranty was being provided (ie, what's covered and what's not, and for how long or how many miles). Call the department of motor vehicles, or whatever it's called in SD, and tell them that your buyer's guide had the warranty box checked and that NO specifics were given. And, of course, tell them that the dealer is refusing to help fix the car. At the dealership I worked at, if the warranty box was checked, we would spell out all the details of the coverage, not make customers guess what was and wasn't covered.

The fact that they were not specific about the warranty could be your ticket. Any warranty will not provide for you to return the car and get your money back.

You would do well to ignore senior judge's "advice". A check by the warranty box means that the car comes with a warranty.

Senior: why are you responding to questions that are apparently beyond your capacity?

Last edited:

dallas702

It's a KIA for cryin' out loud. Is there a warranty existing that will take responsibility for a used Kia? Sorry....j/k.

give me an AMEN!

dallas702 said:
It's a KIA for cryin' out loud. Is there a warranty existing that will take responsibility for a used Kia? Sorry....j/k.
Kia's are one of god's creations, just like any other.

Thus, if a warranty is unavailable, perhaps a prayer session or revival meeting can be arranged by the dealer's service department. (no blasphemy intended)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">