• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Expunging a Misdemeanor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AllenNeedsHelp

What is the name of your state? California

I was originally charged with a felony for 550 (b)(1) which was reduced to a misdemeanor soon thereafter for asist/conspire insurance fraud...was given 5 yrs probation, 10,000 restitution, 300 hrs community time...(this all happened because I went to TJ Mexico after the San Diego superbowl, and while I was in a "Hotel" with a "Lady" my car was stolen. I was embarrassed and decided to report it the next day as being stolen from California, even though my insurance DID cover 50 miles into Mexico). My car was found soon after filing the report. I then did admit to my insurance that I was in Mexico and was embarrassed to say what I was doing there...They referred the action to the State Department Of Insurance who then arrested me....I immediately did what the court asked...I paid the 10,000 to my insurance (Who actually never spent a dime on my car), I finished off the 300 hours in 3 months, and reported diligently to my Probation Officer. Soon thereafter I went into court requesting the reduction of the Felony to a Misdemeanor and to drop the Probation (This was only 6 months after the arrest. With the help of my Probation Officer and Public Defender, my request was granted....I was then told that if I don't get into any trouble, I could get the case Expunged at the end of one years time....that time is now...so the questions I have are:
1. Do I have to report that I was arrested for a felony or Misdemeanor?
2. Once expunged, is it still in my record or is it accessible to others?

I have to apply for a gaming license in Nevada and am told that the gaming commission can find out everything whether I have it expunged or not...I want to be honest with them, but since the case was downgraded to a Misdemeanor, I would like to know if that's what I tell them.

Last edited:

Most applications ask about convictions not arrests. Honesty is the best policy so if you are asked about arrests you need to disclose them. The convictions are still there this just restores your civil rights as far as gaining employment. The only people allowed access to an expunged record is law enforcement and certain jobs that require secruity clearence.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">