• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Volunteer Firefighter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bcbmmp

I have regulary scheduled mandatory overtime for the US Goverment. It is 4 hours on Fridays.
On one Friday my local Fire Department scheduled a training session for 18:00 hours. My Regular shift was 16:00 to 24:00 with the mandatory overtime from 12:00 noon till 16:00. I notified my superviser that I would be going to this training as a curtesy so he would have enough time to cover me when I left. At 12:30 my boss told me he would not allow me to work and sent me home. I informed him that there may be a law that covered me aganst discrimination. I was told though word-of-mouth in my fire Department that there was a law protecting me from this discrimination when I was doing Volunteer work. I was going to use my sick leave during this absence.
My Question is; Can my Superviser deny me(penalize) the Overtime that is mandatory and has been regulary scheduled for at least 3 years for doing Volunteer work for my comunnity?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">