• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Quit-claim deed tax implications

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PTD

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Tennessee

My parents bought their home for 80,000 about 3 years ago, and still have 30,000 left to pay on the mortgage, but cannot make the high payments. They want to have us loan them the 30,000 now, so that they can pay off their current loan in full. Then, they will continue living in the house, and pay us that amount back with interest over a longer period of time (thus basically having lower payments).

My question is, also in return for us loaning them the money now, they want to quit-claim the deed over to me, basically in case somehow they end up not being able to pay off the money I'm loaning to them for this. Once they finish repaying us the loan, I would quit-claim the deed back to them. What tax implications would that have to me (and them for that matter). The property was recently appraised for 100,000, if that matters.

seniorjudge

PTD said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Tennessee

My parents bought their home for 80,000 about 3 years ago, and still have 30,000 left to pay on the mortgage, but cannot make the high payments. They want to have us loan them the 30,000 now, so that they can pay off their current loan in full. Then, they will continue living in the house, and pay us that amount back with interest over a longer period of time (thus basically having lower payments).

My question is, also in return for us loaning them the money now, they want to quit-claim the deed over to me, basically in case somehow they end up not being able to pay off the money I'm loaning to them for this. Once they finish repaying us the loan, I would quit-claim the deed back to them. What tax implications would that have to me (and them for that matter). The property was recently appraised for 100,000, if that matters.

Who is going to pay off the existing mortgage?

PTD

I will be paying off the existing mortgage indirectly through the loan to my parents, who would then pay their lender (although if it helps tax-wise I could pay it directly to the lender, as it's not a mortgage company).

seniorjudge

PTD said:
I will be paying off the existing mortgage indirectly through the loan to my parents, who would then pay their lender (although if it helps tax-wise I could pay it directly to the lender, as it's not a mortgage company).
Someone else will have to answer the tax part of your question.

However, on this part, you need the lender's approval in writing before you go conveying the land without releasing the current loan.

PTD

seniorjudge said:
Someone else will have to answer the tax part of your question.

However, on this part, you need the lender's approval in writing before you go conveying the land without releasing the current loan.
Thanks. I think paying off the loan in full prior to quit-claiming the deed over to me would make getting the lender's approval not necessary, correct?

seniorjudge

PTD said:
Thanks. I think paying off the loan in full prior to quit-claiming the deed over to me would make getting the lender's approval not necessary, correct?
If there is no loan on the land, then there will be no need for a lender's approval since there is no lender.

PTD

seniorjudge said:
If there is no loan on the land, then there will be no need for a lender's approval since there is no lender.
Thanks seniorjudge,

Now I still have my initial question on tax implications (given that their wouldn't be a loan if I/we paid it off prior to all of this happening): Specifically, at the time when my parents quit-claim the deed over to me, and at the time that I would either quit-claim the deed back to my parents, or if I ended up selling it to someone else (capital gains tax issues).

LdiJ

PTD said:
Thanks seniorjudge,

Now I still have my initial question on tax implications (given that their wouldn't be a loan if I/we paid it off prior to all of this happening): Specifically, at the time when my parents quit-claim the deed over to me, and at the time that I would either quit-claim the deed back to my parents, or if I ended up selling it to someone else (capital gains tax issues).
Wouldn't it simply make more sense for your parents to refinance the mortgage? If they only owe 30k on a home that would appraise at 100k it ought to be pretty easy to do.

If they can't do it alone, then you could enter in as a third owner and signer on the mortgage.

The only tax implications would be gift tax implications. Gift tax returns would have to be filed if they quit claimed the house to you, and when you quit claimed it back. However there would be no tax due unless either one of you have exceeded your maximum lifetime exclusion.

PTD

LdiJ said:
Wouldn't it simply make more sense for your parents to refinance the mortgage? If they only owe 30k on a home that would appraise at 100k it ought to be pretty easy to do.

If they can't do it alone, then you could enter in as a third owner and signer on the mortgage.

The only tax implications would be gift tax implications. Gift tax returns would have to be filed if they quit claimed the house to you, and when you quit claimed it back. However there would be no tax due unless either one of you have exceeded your maximum lifetime exclusion.
Actually, they want to refinance it through me, by me paying off the balance and then they would pay me back that amount, with interest, over time.

I also just found out some other detail that affects all of this: Their current mortgage is through a "land contract" to the previous owner, but they have the deed (under their ministry's name), so I don't know how that would affect the tax implications, since it wouldn't be directly to family.

LdiJ

PTD said:
Actually, they want to refinance it through me, by me paying off the balance and then they would pay me back that amount, with interest, over time.

I also just found out some other detail that affects all of this: Their current mortgage is through a "land contract" to the previous owner, but they have the deed (under their ministry's name), so I don't know how that would affect the tax implications, since it wouldn't be directly to family.
Again, I don't understand why they don't just do this in the normal way.

However, if you have to act as their refinancer, then just write up a contract that way and put a lien on the property, rather than going the quit claim route.

I think you are making this more complicated than it needs to be.

PTD

LdiJ said:
Again, I don't understand why they don't just do this in the normal way.

However, if you have to act as their refinancer, then just write up a contract that way and put a lien on the property, rather than going the quit claim route.

I think you are making this more complicated than it needs to be.
Thank you. This type of thing is all new to me, and it would be nice if it's alot less complicated than I'm making it. I'll check on what it takes to put a lien on the property.

ablessin

they paid $50,000 in 3 years and they can't afford to pay less than half?

How many years was the mortgage to begin with? $50,000 in 3 years is a $1400 month payment - were they making extra payment on principle?

I think I would be leary to loan that sum of money to a family member.
Are they in good health? If something happened, could you afford to make the payment - or is this a cash loan

PTD

ablessin said:
they paid $50,000 in 3 years and they can't afford to pay less than half?

How many years was the mortgage to begin with? $50,000 in 3 years is a $1400 month payment - were they making extra payment on principle?

I think I would be leary to loan that sum of money to a family member.
Are they in good health? If something happened, could you afford to make the payment - or is this a cash loan
They put down a large downpayment, so the loan wasn't for the entire $80,000, and they have a balloon payment at the end of it. There are some health issues, but the main thing is that basically their income isn't enough to cover the current payments, but would be enough to cover it if I loaned them the money with a new loan.

From their perspective, they feel that they are taking most of the risk, because if something happened to them, we would be able to sell the property with only the $30,000 out of our pocket.

Actually, the quit-claim deed transfer(s) don't seem all that terrible to me, I'm just checking to make sure that I know all of the financial/tax ramifications of doing this sort of thing, and to see if there are other ways of doing it more advantageously.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">