• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sales Tax Problem

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

safetek

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? NC

My company in GA purchased product from a MN company and had it dropped shipped to a job site in NC.

The MN company claims my company in GA must pay the NC sales tax to them because they have a NC license. We have a GA sales tax certificate and the financial transaction was between our two companies in MN and GA not in NC. The product was used by a contractor for the NC customer. It's my contention that the NC sales or use tax is the responsibility of the contractor or the customer , not the MN company.

seniorjudge

safetek said:

My company in GA purchased product from a MN company and had it dropped shipped to a job site in NC.

The MN company claims my company in GA must pay the NC sales tax to them because they have a NC license. We have a GA sales tax certificate and the financial transaction was between our two companies in MN and GA not in NC. The product was used by a contractor for the NC customer. It's my contention that the NC sales or use tax is the responsibility of the contractor or the customer , not the MN company.
It's my contention that the NC sales or use tax is the responsibility of the contractor or the customer , not the MN company.

Upon which statute do you base this contention?

LdiJ

safetek said:

I am confused here. Why is sales tax even involved at all between your company and the MN company? You purchased from a company for resale to a contractor (or to the home owner). It would seem to me that you made a wholesale purchase a then a retail sale and that you should be the one perhaps charging sales tax....not the MN co.

abezon

Sales tax is based on place of delivery. If the company has a warehouse in NC, it has to collect NC taxes on all NC deliveries. Pass the tax along to the contractor & declare victory.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">