• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ex- roomate troubles

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LTRS

What is the name of your state? North Carolina

I'm searching for laws covering roomates, we were under a no contract, no lease situation. she gave a one day notice and left. then one day maliciously cut my power off, on a friday, without warning. I went all weekend without power. The electricity WAS in her name and the phone in mine. Are there
ANY laws that protect the rights of the person still living in the house? My weekend was very difficult. I had to pack and stay somewhere else. She refuses to communicate with me and we have future bills to cover. HELP!@!!
I feel the power incident was out of spite and ill will. Could that be construed as a mild threat as it wrecklessly endangered my health and wellbeing and I have proof that the bill was not due until the end of the month. its very cold in nc.

HomeGuru

LTRS said:
What is the name of your state? North Carolina

I'm searching for laws covering roomates, we were under a no contract, no lease situation. she gave a one day notice and left. then one day maliciously cut my power off, on a friday, without warning. I went all weekend without power. The electricity WAS in her name and the phone in mine. Are there
ANY laws that protect the rights of the person still living in the house? My weekend was very difficult. I had to pack and stay somewhere else. She refuses to communicate with me and we have future bills to cover. HELP!@!!
I feel the power incident was out of spite and ill will. Could that be construed as a mild threat as it wrecklessly endangered my health and wellbeing and I have proof that the bill was not due until the end of the month. its very cold in nc.

**A: use the court system to your advantage.

JETX

LTRS said:
I'm searching for laws covering roomates, we were under a no contract, no lease situation. she gave a one day notice and left.
That does NOT mean that there was not a rent obligation or other agreement.
If she was paying you (or a landlord) rent.... and you are now stuck with the full rent, you can sue her for your damages, the amount of rent she would have paid for the full 30 day notice of her 'month-to-month' at-will rent obligation.

Are there ANY laws that protect the rights of the person still living in the house?
No. The power was in her name and she has the right to turn it off.

My weekend was very difficult. I had to pack and stay somewhere else.
The first thing you should have done when she left was to make arrangements for power in your name. You didn't.

She refuses to communicate with me and we have future bills to cover.
Depending on what those bills are, you MIGHT be able to add them to your above damage claim.

Not relevant. See above.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">