• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Garnishing wages???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

emlopez

What is the name of your state?New York
I won a judgement of $3000 but am not sure how to garnish wages from a person that quit their job and I :confused: no longer know where they work or if they even do. How do I find out this information? Should I just contact a lawyer to collect for me or is it worth the hastle of doing it myself?

Last edited:

seniorjudge

emlopez said:
I won a judgement of $3000 but am not sure how to garnish wages from a person that quit their job and I :confused: no longer know where they work or if they even do. How do I find out this information? Should I just contact a lawyer to collect for me or is it worth the hastle of doing it myself?
http://www.courts.state.ny.us/courts/nyc/smallclaims/definitions.shtml

You have to know where someone works before you can garnish wages.

Leinalani

emlopez said:
Wage garnishments aren't the only avenue you have to travel. You might want to consider seizing this person's non-exempt bank accounts. This is fairly easy if you know where this person banks.

Edit: You could consider getting yourself a lawyer and having him/her do the leg work but it'll probably cost you more than $3,000. With a little hard work and research, you can do this all on your own.

Good luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">