• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marrying into a large sum of money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

khameleon

What is the name of your state? Florida

Hello, i am in a bit of a situation. I am engaged to a person very wealthy. She has an account in the US, but we will marry in the Philippines. I believe the money is already being taxed, but what will this mean for me? Will i have to pay a tax on the sum of the account because it became a source of income? She is not a citizen of the US but i am. I dont want a huge tax on this money, but who would :p Any advice?

seniorjudge

khameleon said:

Hello, i am in a bit of a situation. I am engaged to a person very wealthy. She has an account in the US, but we will marry in the Philippines. I believe the money is already being taxed, but what will this mean for me? Will i have to pay a tax on the sum of the account because it became a source of income? She is not a citizen of the US but i am. I dont want a huge tax on this money, but who would :p Any advice?
Will i have to pay a tax on the sum of the account because it became a source of income?

Is she paying you to marry her?

mousemeat

YOU will not have to pay any taxes on the money just because you marry her. But,once you are married, if the money is, for instance, in a savings account, you and her, if you file a joint return, will be responsible for taxes on any interest.

abezon

I suggest you spend some of her money & get some international tax advice. If she is not a citizen, she is liable for taxes only on her US-source income (which by law does not include bank interest). You'll file married separate & pay taxes on your worldwide income.

If she elects to file jointly with you, she pays US taxes on worldwide income, but can claim foreign tax credits.

dallas702

khameleon said:

What or who gave you the idea that marrying someone who has money (wealth) makes that your "income"? Not that some people don't see it that way (such as Anna Nicole).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">