• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I could use your help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Flyfishing711

What is the name of your state? Oregon

My wife had a friend who couldn't not get a car on her own credit.
My wife put the car in her name in 2002. The friend agreed and did make payments on the car for 2 years, (this was before we were married).

Come back from our honneymoon, I found out that her friend was no longer making payments and was going to let the car be impounded. I told her
she better bring the car over to us, (because it would ruin our credit)
and you never get what the car is worth if it's taken away instead of sold.

The car's brakes were metal to metal, the tags were expired and it was evident she did not take care of the car. I was very shaken by this and it really hurt us financially.

The car was worth around 7,000 when we got it back from her, but there was over 11,000 owed.

She did agree to help pay us back. However, we never received any money after we took the car back. We explained to her that she was responsible for the difference between the loan and what the car is worth in today's market plus all the maintanence we had to do.

Since, I've heard that she filled bankrupcy under I beleive the old laws.
But since I don't believe she was on any of the papers for the car, I don't see how she could have written it off.

I could really use some help from a proffessional. The funny thing is I have contaced Judge Judy and we are in the beginning step to getting on their show.

Thank you very much,
Jason

justalayman

Well at least you know why she couldn't get a car in her name.

Did you folks have anything in writing.?

Did she list your wife as a creditor in her bankruptcy?

Flyfishing711

We have nothing is writing. She said she would sign something after the fact, but never did.

Do verbal agreements mean anything? How about having the car for 2 years?

My wife just told me that she listed her name on the bankruptcy.

Thanks for your reply.

Jason

justalayman

If the friend listed your wife on the bankruptcy and her BK was granted, you probably have no recourse to collect. To be sure though you should speak with the friemds attorney (if she used one) to be sure you were included and if the debt to you has been discharged (if the BK is final).

If this is so, it doesn;t really matter what kind of agreement you had.

Flyfishing711

Ok thanks for the reply. I dont know how to find the attorney she used.
We don't talk with her anymore.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jason

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">