• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Character reference

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GinnyP

What is the name of your state? Idaho

I've been asked to provide a written character reference for my son. He is in Idaho I am in Nevada. He has been charged with domestic battery.
Can anyone help direct me as to proper form for the letter?

stephenk

Is the problem having to do with your son not having good character and you don't know how to express it?

GinnyP

character reference

Thank you for your quick response,
My son, Bill, has poor judgment when choosing friends. He is, for lack of a better word, a "guppy". He has become entangled with a woman who is physically abusive when she drinks. She has two children that the court system has taken away from her twice. She has a police record and is currently serving probation for drunk driving. Her and her children moved in with him and he was their sole support.
Bill, age 32, has never been in trouble with the law. He is very gentle by nature, he says they were fighting and he was just trying to get out of the house and she wouldn't let him. He called the police. The only marks left from this incident were on Bill but she said he tried to strangle her and they arrested him and he spent the weekend in jail and was charged with felony strangulation. He is terrified. This has been dragging on since last May, postponement after postponement.
I believe him. He's never been violent.
What I want to understand is the proper form this character reference should take. As a mother may I be informal or should I keep all sentiment to a minimum?
I thank you for any help you can give me.

HomeGuru

GinnyP said:
Thank you for your quick response,
My son, Bill, has poor judgment when choosing friends. He is, for lack of a better word, a "guppy". He has become entangled with a woman who is physically abusive when she drinks. She has two children that the court system has taken away from her twice. She has a police record and is currently serving probation for drunk driving. Her and her children moved in with him and he was their sole support.
Bill, age 32, has never been in trouble with the law. He is very gentle by nature, he says they were fighting and he was just trying to get out of the house and she wouldn't let him. He called the police. The only marks left from this incident were on Bill but she said he tried to strangle her and they arrested him and he spent the weekend in jail and was charged with felony strangulation. He is terrified. This has been dragging on since last May, postponement after postponement.
I believe him. He's never been violent.
What I want to understand is the proper form this character reference should take. As a mother may I be informal or should I keep all sentiment to a minimum?
I thank you for any help you can give me.

**A: sounds like you got the contents of your letter already.

GinnyP

character reference

HomeGuru said:
**A: sounds like you got the contents of your letter already.
Are you saying that I should write that to a judge? Should a character reference be defensive? A member of the family who is a policeman tells me that I should avoid mentioning the incident at all. Now I'm really confused.

stephenk

Ask his attorney what would be good to put in the letter. You can just write about what a nice non-violent guy he is and other good qualities.

Litigation!

stephenk said:
Ask his attorney what would be good to put in the letter. You can just write about what a nice non-violent guy he is and other good qualities.

My response:

Yes, and how he really wasn't squeezing her throat all that hard.

Also, if the police have photos, and the medical report states that she had marks on her neck consistent with strangulation, you could write the Enclopedia Britannica and it wouldn't help him.

Ask the attorney if there were any marks on her throat.

IAAL

Last edited:

GinnyP

character reference

Litigation! said:
My response:

Yes, and how he really wasn't squeezing her throat all that hard.

Also, if the police have photos, and the medical report states that she had marks on her neck consistent with strangulation, you could write the Enclopedia Britannica and it wouldn't help him.

Ask the attorney if there were any marks on her throat.

IAAL

Wow you should have been a comedian. It's nice to know someone is enjoying this. You should put your comments in the yellow pages right next to your advertisement, truly, its such a comfort to me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">