• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need help with used car sale

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

feelingduped

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? NY

This past Wednesday I purchased a used car from a private sale per the seller the car ran fine, had power everything, airconditioning, would pass inspection fine, needed a regular tune-up ($150) and that was all. Since the car was being stored at a Midas Muffler shop I had the mechanic there confirm that nothing was needed besides the tune up. I went back to the private seller and gave him 2,200 dollars for the car (1995 Dodge Avenger). I had the car registered and after the tune up was done (now Sunday) drove home with the car (no inspection yet). Monday morning I took the car to my mechanic to have it inspected (family friend for 20 years or so). Here are some of the things that are wrong and the car will not pass inspection:
Bearings on rear passenger side are missing
Fiberglass in oil tank to prevent leak
Head Gasket Cracked
Medic put in car to stop engine from rattling
engine about to blow up
windows have electrical short and roll up/down w/out car being turned on
no power anything but windows
car had bottomed out and many cracks in car frame as a result
air-conditioning unit had seized up so belts were removed
These are only a few of the problems that this car has is there anything i can do? Please help.

You Are Guilty

feelingduped said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? NY

This past Wednesday I purchased a used car from a private sale per the seller the car ran fine, had power everything, airconditioning, would pass inspection fine, needed a regular tune-up ($150) and that was all. Since the car was being stored at a Midas Muffler shop I had the mechanic there confirm that nothing was needed besides the tune up. I went back to the private seller and gave him 2,200 dollars for the car (1995 Dodge Avenger). I had the car registered and after the tune up was done (now Sunday) drove home with the car (no inspection yet). Monday morning I took the car to my mechanic to have it inspected (family friend for 20 years or so). Here are some of the things that are wrong and the car will not pass inspection:
Bearings on rear passenger side are missing
Fiberglass in oil tank to prevent leak
Head Gasket Cracked
Medic put in car to stop engine from rattling
engine about to blow up
windows have electrical short and roll up/down w/out car being turned on
no power anything but windows
car had bottomed out and many cracks in car frame as a result
air-conditioning unit had seized up so belts were removed
These are only a few of the problems that this car has is there anything i can do? Please help.
While I doubt you'd win in court, when you "had the mechanic there confirm that nothing was needed besides the tune up", did he do it in writing?

genivieve

While it is nice to think you may be able to file a civil suit, you would most likely win nothing. My father owned a car dealership. And here are the problems. One you bought from a personal owner, and did not ask for a 30 warranty or one thousand miles. Which is what you would have gotten if you bought from a used car dealer.

The vehicle also sat at Midas. Most of the mechanics that work at those places do have mechanical knowledge other than just brake or exhaust problems. A good mechanic working on the vehicle would state in their summary of billing other problems reconized. Because they also hold a NY inspection license. But it is obvious you came across a new mechanic who they trained for their minimal jobs.

I believe ny is 2500 or over for lemon law.

Does your receipt from the buyer state "AS IS?"

Did you fudge your yellow form for a cheaper price in tax, basically saying did you pay the seller a certain amount then write in a differant price to DMV?

genivieve

Also here is some extra info for the future

When purchasing a used car, please do research on the make you plan on purchasing. The Dodge Avenger 95 year is junk, they recalled many heads and replaced some motors. Most dealers or purchasers at the auction will walk right out the lane when one pulls through. This hold true for the Neon, Intrepid, and Caravan.

The advantage of purchasing from a dealer.

Any vehicle over 10 years, or 100,000 miles is given a light warranty (motor drive tran). 1000 miles and 30 days which ever comes first. Some dealers offer extended warrenties up to two years for $200 to $500. Dealers also are required to inspect the vehicle. Thus brakes, exhausts, lights, emission, glass, and tires are covered there.

When buying from a personal owner asked for this type of warranty. Most people will flat out oppose of it. If thats the case, walk away. Have your vehicle inspected by a real garage. Not Midas. One that gets involved with motor and transmission changes etc.

You are going to have to eat this car as a bad deal and a lesson learned. Hopefully you could trade it in on another vehicle. But seriously your not going to get what you paid for it. Adessa Auction in Buffalo is stating these vehicles are selling wholesale at auction from $150.00 to $700.00.

Or try rebuilding what you have. Motors run about 400 used then there is labor which is double.

Good luck in your future purchase.

genivieve said:
Also here is some extra info for the future

When purchasing a used car, please do research on the make you plan on purchasing. The Dodge Avenger 95 year is junk, they recalled many heads and replaced some motors. Most dealers or purchasers at the auction will walk right out the lane when one pulls through. This hold true for the Neon, Intrepid, and Caravan.

The advantage of purchasing from a dealer.

Any vehicle over 10 years, or 100,000 miles is given a light warranty (motor drive tran). 1000 miles and 30 days which ever comes first. Some dealers offer extended warrenties up to two years for $200 to $500. Dealers also are required to inspect the vehicle. Thus brakes, exhausts, lights, emission, glass, and tires are covered there.

When buying from a personal owner asked for this type of warranty. Most people will flat out oppose of it. If thats the case, walk away. Have your vehicle inspected by a real garage. Not Midas. One that gets involved with motor and transmission changes etc.

You are going to have to eat this car as a bad deal and a lesson learned. Hopefully you could trade it in on another vehicle. But seriously your not going to get what you paid for it. Adessa Auction in Buffalo is stating these vehicles are selling wholesale at auction from $150.00 to $700.00.

Or try rebuilding what you have. Motors run about 400 used then there is labor which is double.

Good luck in your future purchase.
I'd like to start out with an AMEN as to the quality of the Dodge Avenger, and all dodge chrysler products in general.

This is a company that applies slipshod quality standards to (some) cutting edge designs. In the many years I sold new and used vehicles, I cannot recall selling a used chrysler product with anything over 150,000 miles, and even they were RARE. I sold used Toyota Camrys with 200,000 miles to a local cab company who knew that they could coax another 300,000 miles out of them (obviously, with a good deal of care). He would've laughed if I even mentioned a chrysler.

I wouldn't knock a manufacturer unless I repeatedly witnessed evidence, like used car mechanics who, when questioned about chrysler products, would respond with an evil grin, or the comparatively small trade-in value, or the etc etc.

Putting one dollar into repairing this vehicle would likely be throwing good money after bad. Like boats, chryslers can suck cash out of your wallet faster than Anna Nicole Smith at an expensive restaurant.

BTW, I was unaware of the "10 year rule". Maybe it's an east coast thing. Regardless, I'd strongly agree with this poster's response: dealer's have a vested interest in keeping customers happy, especially if they are new car dealers.

Last edited:

feelingduped

Thank you

Thank you for all of your feedback it is greatly appreciated. I actually convinced the guy I bought the car from that it was illegal to sell a car that does not pass inspection in New York state. He has agreed to pay for all of the things that need to be fixed for it to pass (I actually got a written signed and notorized statement) and if that exceeds what he is willing to pay then he will buy the car back from me.:)

dallas702

feelingduped said:
Thank you for all of your feedback it is greatly appreciated. I actually convinced the guy I bought the car from that it was illegal to sell a car that does not pass inspection in New York state. He has agreed to pay for all of the things that need to be fixed for it to pass (I actually got a written signed and notorized statement) and if that exceeds what he is willing to pay then he will buy the car back from me.:)

Good. Then it will last another month or so. I hear those models make better planters than cars.

The Dodge "Avenger"...what a name! Salespeople for this bucket of bolts should've been issued ill-fitting superhero costumes and tripped over their capes while doing the delivery.

dallas702

cjbrown929 said:
The Dodge "Avenger"...what a name! Salespeople for this bucket of bolts should've been issued ill-fitting superhero costumes and tripped over their capes while doing the delivery.

It must be that "cab forward" design (or whatever Lee was calling it). No room for a decent engine that could be worked on. ;)

DRTDEVL

cjbrown929 said:
In the many years I sold new and used vehicles, I cannot recall selling a used chrysler product with anything over 150,000 miles, and even they were RARE. I sold used Toyota Camrys with 200,000 miles to a local cab company who knew that they could coax another 300,000 miles out of them (obviously, with a good deal of care). He would've laughed if I even mentioned a chrysler.

I wouldn't knock a manufacturer unless I repeatedly witnessed evidence, like used car mechanics who, when questioned about chrysler products, would respond with an evil grin, or the comparatively small trade-in value, or the etc etc.

Putting one dollar into repairing this vehicle would likely be throwing good money after bad. Like boats, chryslers can suck cash out of your wallet faster than Anna Nicole Smith at an expensive restaurant.

Funny... I just sold my 97 Grand Caravan to my father... Never had any real problems out of it, just basic maintenance (i.e. o2 sensor, clogged washer pump screen, timing belt replacements). Everything still worked, to include the cassette deck. Better get your nitroglycerin pills out... It had 169,000 miles on it! He now has 177,000 on it, and will be driving it from Tennessee to California this summer.

All manufacturers have their issues... I cite Toyota's 3.0 liter (3VZE) engine that came in the 1990-1995 trucks and 4Runners... Poor head gasket designs caused repeated failures to the extent of a TSB and SSC being issued for replacements on Toyota's dime. Same head gasket issues with their 5MGE, 7MGE and 7MGTE Cressida/Supra engines, although that was caused by torquing the head bolts to 54 ft-lbs, rather than 72. What about Honda's 1.9L distributor shafts welding themselves to the housings, breaking timing belts and destroying the engine in the process? Don't even get me started on the European brands... Way too much to list (almost as bad as KIA).

We all know about Ford's Powerstroke fuel system problems, Dodge's transmission problems, and GM's DEXCOOL problems, yet nobody ever cites foreign examples. There are plenty to choose from, yet people ignore them. Why is this? Everyone has been blinded by their memories of cars from the past... The old Honda CVCC, Datsun B210, Toyota Corona. Those cars built the Japanese superiority legend, and they are reaping the benefits today. While some manufacturer's are doing a better job than others, they are all driven by the bottom line... And that bottom line no longer includes making a car last forever, since you would never need another one. It's all about profitability now, and more profits later (your repair/replacement costs).

BL

feelingduped said:

Since the thread got resurrected , I'm glad you convinced him of a Law that doesn't exist in NY from a Private Seller .

The only avenue you would have had if the private seller didn't agree , is to take him to court , convince the Judge you bought it to drive and he misrepresented the condition of the vehicle , with estimates of repairs needed , and if the Frame cracks would not pass inspection , proof of that .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">