• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Small claims case against a lawyer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stan23

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? PA

Hello Sir,
I approached a lawyer to do my work visa (H-1B) in June 2005. He took $2185 (for USCIS fee) and $750 (for his services) from me in June. He never gave me any feedback about my visa although I was asking him every week about the status of my application. In October, when I went to see him personally, I asked him to show the proof that he submitted the application. He got mad at me and said, "I'm done with you. Good Bye".

I then used another lawyer, who helped me apply for a work visa.

Recently in Jan 2006, I wrote an e-mail to the first lawyer requesting him to pay me back all my money since he did not do anything regarding my work visa. He denied my request.

Now my question is, Can I approach a small claims court to get this matter resolved? If yes, Can I win against another attorney, who is well-versed in law? Please let me know. I just want all my money back.

Thanks very much for your help.

divgradcurl

stan23 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? PA

Hello Sir,
I approached a lawyer to do my work visa (H-1B) in June 2005. He took $2185 (for USCIS fee) and $750 (for his services) from me in June. He never gave me any feedback about my visa although I was asking him every week about the status of my application. In October, when I went to see him personally, I asked him to show the proof that he submitted the application. He got mad at me and said, "I'm done with you. Good Bye".

I then used another lawyer, who helped me apply for a work visa.

Recently in Jan 2006, I wrote an e-mail to the first lawyer requesting him to pay me back all my money since he did not do anything regarding my work visa. He denied my request.

Now my question is, Can I approach a small claims court to get this matter resolved? If yes, Can I win against another attorney, who is well-versed in law? Please let me know. I just want all my money back.

Thanks very much for your help.
Before you head on off to small claims court, contact the PA state bar association and contact the fee dispute person for the particular county in question -- that will be easier than small claims.

http://www.pabar.org/mscfaqfee.shtml

stan23

seniorjudge said:
I agree.

Maybe the offender will be disbarred. We can only hope....
divgradcurl and seniorjudge - Thanks very much for your reply. I'll contact the concerned person in the PA Bar Association and let you know.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">