• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Court procedure

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Leviticus

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? FL
Would someone be able to tell me when I need to introduce exhibits at a trial?
Before I testify as my own witness, before the prosecution calls their witness, etc.?

Thanks!

seniorjudge

Leviticus said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? FL
Would someone be able to tell me when I need to introduce exhibits at a trial?
Before I testify as my own witness, before the prosecution calls their witness, etc.?

Thanks!
You should ask for the introduction of an exhibit at trial right after you have laid the foundation for its admission, which is done, of course, at the time you need the exhibit.

Leviticus

Thanks Senior.

Justalayman, you are right of course about the prosec.
Would this be any different then if it was in a court with a prosecutor?
Would the timing be the same?

justalayman

Leviticus said:
Thanks Senior.

Justalayman, you are right of course about the prosec.
Would this be any different then if it was in a court with a prosecutor?
Would the timing be the same?
I was just making light of the fact that you had asked a question about prosecuters while posting in the small claims court forum. Obviously there would only be plaintiffs/complaintant and defendants/respondants there,

But it would be very similar. prosecution/plaintiff/complaintant would present first. Then defendant/respondant would then present. Exhibits are brought in when they are needed to support the testimony or as a part of that testimony.

Leviticus

justalayman said:
I was just making light of the fact that you had asked a question about prosecuters while posting in the small claims court forum. Obviously there would only be plaintiffs/complaintant and defendants/respondants there,

But it would be very similar. prosecution/plaintiff/complaintant would present first. Then defendant/respondant would then present. Exhibits are brought in when they are needed to support the testimony or as a part of that testimony.
Thanks for this info JL.

I have one more question on this subject (for a regular court, not small claims).
Is using case law as evidence any different from other pieces of evidence submitted as exhibits? Would you submit copies of case laws along with your other exhibits at the same time when you are testifying or are they treated differently and need to be submitted at a different time?

Thank you.

seniorjudge

Leviticus said:
Thanks for this info JL.

I have one more question on this subject (for a regular court, not small claims).
Is using case law as evidence any different from other pieces of evidence submitted as exhibits? Would you submit copies of case laws along with your other exhibits at the same time when you are testifying or are they treated differently and need to be submitted at a different time?

Thank you.
You cite case law, statutes, rules, ordinances, whatever.

You do not introduce them as evidence.

But it's nice if you have a copy of whatever you're talking about for the judge (so the judge doesn't say, "I have never heard of that!") and for your opponent and for yourself.

Leviticus

seniorjudge said:
You cite case law, statutes, rules, ordinances, whatever.

You do not introduce them as evidence.

But it's nice if you have a copy of whatever you're talking about for the judge (so the judge doesn't say, "I have never heard of that!") and for your opponent and for yourself.

OK, thanks very much for this info!

seniorjudge

Leviticus said:
No it will be a trial by judge.
While still obviously formal, a trial to the court will less restrictive on procedure and evidence. E.g., a judge may sometimes be more lenient on the admission of hearsay evidence in a bench trial.

empsystem

While still obviously formal, a trial to the court will less restrictive on procedure and evidence. E.g., a judge may sometimes be more lenient on the admission of hearsay evidence in a bench trial.
Does this mean that a defendent in a trial by judge can give the case law after the plantiff rest their case?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">