• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Which State

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gibbler

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? NM

I bought a 2003 Jeep that only had about 16K miles on it in IL. It still has the bumper to bumper manufacturers warranty on it for another 3 months. While in IL, I took the car into the dealership I bought it from 4 times for different problems. Now that I have moved, I have had this Jeep in the shop 5 other times. Four of those times for shifting problems and still am having problems.
I want to make a complaint using the lemon law, but which state do I make the complaint in? IL and New Mexico have lemon laws that seem to be pretty different. While all the work is still free because of the warranty, I have no faith whatsoever that this car will not continue to have all kinds of problems after the bumper to bumper is gone.
What kind of compensation can you expect if the car constantly sits in a shop being worked on? I have only had this car for about 6 months.

divgradcurl

Gibbler said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? NM

I bought a 2003 Jeep that only had about 16K miles on it in IL. It still has the bumper to bumper manufacturers warranty on it for another 3 months. While in IL, I took the car into the dealership I bought it from 4 times for different problems. Now that I have moved, I have had this Jeep in the shop 5 other times. Four of those times for shifting problems and still am having problems.
I want to make a complaint using the lemon law, but which state do I make the complaint in? IL and New Mexico have lemon laws that seem to be pretty different. While all the work is still free because of the warranty, I have no faith whatsoever that this car will not continue to have all kinds of problems after the bumper to bumper is gone.
What kind of compensation can you expect if the car constantly sits in a shop being worked on? I have only had this car for about 6 months.
Probably IL, since that's where you bought the car -- I'm not familiar with the IL of NM lemon-law statutes, but most lemon-law statutes cover new cars, not used cars, and certainly not 3 year old cars...

Gibbler

divgradcurl said:
Probably IL, since that's where you bought the car -- I'm not familiar with the IL of NM lemon-law statutes, but most lemon-law statutes cover new cars, not used cars, and certainly not 3 year old cars...
Do I have any recourse then, since it was a used car? Other than trading it in. I thought having the bumper to bumper still in force would mean something. Yes, it gets fixed for nothing (for now), but doesnt do much good if it's always in the shop. Would it help to call the dealership I bought it from?

teflon_jones said:
Lemon laws only cover new cars for the first year. You can not make a lemon law claim in any state.

Teflon:

That's not entirely true. Several states have "lemon laws" that apply to the purchase of used vehicles. Last time I checked (which was some time ago) there was approximately 12.

dallas702

john123456 said:
Teflon:

That's not entirely true. Several states have "lemon laws" that apply to the purchase of used vehicles. Last time I checked (which was some time ago) there was approximately 12.

The question is: Is IL one of those 12, and what good is that going to do you in NM....and now that you have had this used car 6 months how are you going to pay for the next breakdowns?

Your recourse was to demand the dealer repair the Jeep (problem #1) properly. Now, you don't have a warranty to help you. My advice is for you to polish that heap up and sell it to the first sucker who will give you close to what you want (as much as you can get).

You aren't the person who traded in the 100% troublefree Toyota for this moneypit are you?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">