• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

cell phone charges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DaddysLtlGirl

To make a long story short ... My ex and I were together for 5yrs and had just recently split. We had gotten a family plan with the cell phone company Cingular Wireless. The bills would come in my name. On the bill, it says both of our names describing which charges were each of ours. After we split I switched phone carriers and I gave him the option to switch as well or stay with Cingular. He decided to stay with them. He was paying his bill normally and on time, until just recently. I had contacted him and had a conversation with him explaining that I was definately going to look into this legally if he did not pay his part. He agreed and said he would pay. He hasn't yet and now is not returning any of my calls and making this very difficult for me. He has become ****y about the whole thing. I just want to know if there is any advice anyone could give me or if there is anything I could do?

Thanks for any info. If more info is needed, let me know.
Have a great day! :D

JETX

panzertanker said:
Hey JET, isn't NJ still considered in the United States???
Yep, it is. And yes, I see that the OP is in NJ.... however, as we all know, that doesn't mean that the matter is based in NJ.
Also, the OP deleted ALL references to what state.... presumably for a reason.
Finally, the OP's location doesn't show when making a reply... so your 'advice' may NOT be correct. :eek:

With that, the ONLY correct answer is...... US Law Only!!

sxzy27

Do you guys just sit around and wait to be able to prove someone else wrong or are you really trying to help others?

stephenk

Jetx and HomeGuru,

Something is wrong with the site. When starting a new thread, the line that asks for the name of your state is gone.

JETX

stephenk said:
Something is wrong with the site. When starting a new thread, the line that asks for the name of your state is gone.
Who cares?? The screen still says: "US Law Only - WHEN POSTING A QUESTION, YOU MUST INCLUDE THE NAME OF YOUR STATE"

DaddysLtlGirl

I am new to this forum, sorry I did not know it did not state where I was from. I am in NJ and it takes place in NJ. USA!
I have already cancelled the contract.

Thanks for input!

JETX

DaddysLtlGirl said:
I just want to know if there is any advice anyone could give me or if there is anything I could do?
Yep. Obviously, try your best to get him to pay. Send him a WRITTEN demand (certified RRR) for payment including a copy of the bills that you say are his. Include that if not paid in full within (X) days, then you will be forced to pursue legal action to recover your damages. Of course, keep copies of ALL documents. (BTW, you actually have to PAY his portion of the bill to show 'damages'.)

Then, if he doesn't pay within that allowed time, you will have to visit your local courthouse and file a small claim action against him. Hopefully, you will be able to get a judgment. Then, even more hopefully, be able to collect it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">