• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unpaid/filed taxes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

carrie_12T

Pennsylvania

I just found out my sister has unpaid and unfiled taxes back to 2002. She's been working at home a little over the last few years after losing a good job and has made an income. She also has been through a bad divorce and had depression and just let everything slide figuring the worst she'd get is fines. She's a horrible bookkeeper and wants to start taking care of this, but is afraid of where to start and thinks she'll go immediately to jail. I suggested some legal help. Where should she start? Who should she call?

Thanks.

seniorjudge

carrie_12T said:
Pennsylvania

I just found out my sister has unpaid and unfiled taxes back to 2002. She's been working at home a little over the last few years after losing a good job and has made an income. She also has been through a bad divorce and had depression and just let everything slide figuring the worst she'd get is fines. She's a horrible bookkeeper and wants to start taking care of this, but is afraid of where to start and thinks she'll go immediately to jail. I suggested some legal help. Where should she start? Who should she call?

Thanks.
http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=108326,00.html

LdiJ

carrie_12T said:
Pennsylvania

Thanks.
First, she isn't going to jail. However, its time to get things taken care of.
The first thing that you need to do is to get her records in order as best you can.

Once you have done that, take everything to a professional tax preparer and have them run the numbers for each year. Then she will understand what she is facing financially. It may not be as bad as she is imagining.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">